In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Changing Brass

ElbestaElbesta Member Posts: 334 ✭✭✭
edited September 2001 in Ask the Experts
I have been using Winchester brass for my 270. I worked up a max load that shoots well,1.25 at 100 yds, found 40 rounds of Federal brass. Should I work the load up again or can I just use the same load. What about changing "lots" of powder, same powder type, should you work up the load again. Thanks, Elbesta

Comments

• Options
    ToyboyToyboy Member Posts: 30 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    To be safe you should always reduce the powder by 10% when changing any componet if you are at or very near max loading. If your present load is midrange as listed in new, competent reference books, then using the load will not endanger your equipment. You will probably have to work-up new loads to optimize. My personal loads are kept midrange and I use cases with many headstamps. All perform to my expectations.Powder does vary lot to lot. My experience is that if you stay with powder from the same manufacturer, lot to lot variations are minimal. Again if you are at or near max, reduce powder 10% when you change any componet: cases, primer, tip(bullet) or powder lot, and work up carefully.