In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Cetme or Stg 58 or L1a1??

psantospsantos Member Posts: 60 ✭✭
edited September 2001 in Ask the Experts
Sorry guys more questions!I am looking for a .308 semi battle rifle.There are a lot of configurations, most dealers have the Cetme but with a cast Hesse receiver?? Which version is the best?Same questions apply to the Stg 58 or L1a1 most are parts kits on Imbel or new manufacturer receivers. Any feedback on the best parts kits and receiver combos??Steyr Stg 58 or L1a1 both go for close to $400 (inter-ordinance) any advice???Confusing BUT FUN!!Much thxPaul

Comments

• Options
    oneshyoneshy Member Posts: 417
    edited November -1
    I bought a Cetme from Federal Arms 763-780-8780 that was built from all new parts. It is a Hesse, and seems to be good quality. The front sight may be out of alignment, as it shoots 10" left at 100yd. The Imbel rec. seems to be considered the best for the other 2. There is a semi-auto chat room at milsurpshooter.com you might check out. You can order a catalog from federal arms at the above no. and they may be able to give you info. over the phone. They have parts kits and complete rifles you can order.[This message has been edited by oneshy (edited 09-20-2001).][This message has been edited by oneshy (edited 09-24-2001).]
  • Options
    granny_knotgranny_knot Member Posts: 27 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Saturday I bought an STG 48. Shot Sunday and today. I didn't get elevation in till today. Using the open sights I have a .6" @ 50yds(using Hirtenberger surplus). The best I could do @ 100yrds was about 4", but I attribute that to a small Bull (100 yd NRA military target-the front post was half again as wide as the target)) and a creepy trigger. Quality is outstanding, and take-down a snap. I was in the same boat you are-the CETME's seem to balance so well, and feel light. But all the info I gto is that a good FAL type will outshoot them all day long. Just my $.02. Bob
  • Options
    Mr. TimMr. Tim Member Posts: 11 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a Springfield sar-8 wich is an HK clone like the cetme and I love it! It shoots apx. 2.5" to 6" groups @ 100 yds according to the type of ammo you feed it.If you will be reloading for it make sure to put a large sheet or piece of cardboard up about 5 feet from you so you can find your brass because it likes to through them about 30' to 35'. Good luck in your choice.Mr. Tim
  • Options
    Mr. TimMr. Tim Member Posts: 11 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a Springfield sar-8 wich is an HK clone like the cetme and I love it! It shoots apx. 2.5" to 6" groups @ 100 yds according to the type of ammo you feed it.If you will be reloading for it make sure to put a large sheet or piece of cardboard up about 5 feet from you so you can find your brass because it likes to through them about 30' to 35'. Good luck in your choice.Mr. Tim