In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Lever Action

WJRWJR Member Posts: 11 ✭✭
edited September 2001 in Ask the Experts
I want to buy a lever action and am currently trying to decide between a Winchester 94 and Marlin 336. Any advice as to which is better? Also, is there any reason to get it chambered in anything other than 30-30?Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    Der GebirgsjagerDer Gebirgsjager Member Posts: 1,673 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ditto to the above. .30-30 is a great deer cartridge. Funny thing is that it will kill them just as dead in 2001 as it did a hundred years ago. But--you might look at the .307 Win. which is a rimmed .308. My personal favorite is the .356 Win., but it's not current factory production anymore.
  • Options
    ranahanranahan Member Posts: 38 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    You should also look at the Savage 99 and Browning BLR. Both fine choices that will expand your horizons and your caliber choices. Nothing wrong with the two older designs or the older calibers, but just as a for instance, my early model BLR('73)has the finest trigger of any rifle I've shot and is a box magazine .308 that will handle 110 to 220gn bullets well, making it I think, a very versatile gun. ranahan
  • Options
    218Beekeep218Beekeep Member Posts: 3,033
    edited November -1
    I am more into 99 Savage,but I have older 336 Marlins in 30-30 win.and 35 rem.,The 336 is smoother action than the 94 and is usually more accurate.
  • Options
    218Beekeep218Beekeep Member Posts: 3,033
    edited November -1
    Also,I only like older Marlins that are just gettin` there action broke in after about 30 to 50 years.I have one in .218 Bee which is only about 12 years old ,like new and will be a long time before it is as smooth as I like,but it`s still smoother than a Win.
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,958 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree with the Saxon re: romance and modern on the respective models, but do try them on. I like the model 336, but find I am not as comfortable with it as the '94. Foreend is to fat for me and the balance seems wrong somehow. I do have a lot more time with the '94 and maybe I am just used to it so it feels right.
  • Options
    anderskandersk Member Posts: 3,627 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've shot both the Winchester and the Marlin ... my advice is to stick with the Winchester Model 94. Am I partial ... could be, but I also have many years of experience to back up my bias. Bonne Chasse with either.
    Ken
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Oh, I forgot to mention ... the Winchester handles better. Man, it's the gun that won the West ... stick with it!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I've shot both the Winchester and the Marlin ... my advice is to stick with the Winchester Model 94. Am I partial ... could be, but I also have many years of experience to back up my bias. Bonne Chasse with either.
    Ken
  • Options
    LightningLightning Member Posts: 945 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have owned both and both are good guns. The Marlin is more accurate though.
  • Options
    WJRWJR Member Posts: 11 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thank you very much for the input.