In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

How good was Rem.Mod. 10 shotgun ??

modocmodoc Member Posts: 474 ✭✭✭
edited September 2001 in Ask the Experts
I picked one of these up in Trap grade and wonder how good of a gun they were.It seems to be all steel rather than the alloy of the later guns.Any comments will be gratefully received.Thanks. modoc.

Comments

• Options
    AdamsQuailHunterAdamsQuailHunter Member Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    MODOC:I don't have one, but one of my great uncles had one in 20 gauge - it was quail/snipe country there.It has been a very long time, but as I remember, the pump has a more "delicate" profile than the 870, with the forearm being like an old night stick with "grooves" around it instead of checkering. My great uncle's gun was used for quail/snipe, and as I remember had a 24/26 inch barrel and an improved cyclinder choke. Also, I am not going to swear to it, but I believe it was "take-down". In his hands it was a quail machine. I have some pumps - but I am not any good with one as I tend to twist the forearm and cause the gun to jam.I have several firearms that belonged to members of my family, unfortunately my great uncle's Remington is not one of them.
  • Options
    rwfixemrwfixem Member Posts: 164 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    good guns. the butterfly carrier assembly is a nightmare to work on. if she quits don't try to fix it. I have worked on a couple of these and they are not worth it.
  • Options
    AntiqueDrAntiqueDr Member Posts: 691 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Model 10 was a takedown, and was Remington's first venture with a slide-action shotgun. The bottom ejection was unique at the time. It went through several changes, becoming the Model 17 and the Model 29, until the line was replaced with the side ejection Model 31 - the first of Remington's truly great shotguns. The Model 31, of course, was the immediate predecessor of the 870 which was introduced in 1950.The Model 10 was first introduced in 1908, being renamed the Model 10 in 1911. It remained in production until 1929. The Model 10 Remington may have enjoyed greater popularity if it weren't for it's chief competitor - the Winchester Model 12. The Remington didn't have a chance against the greatest pump shotgun of all time.
    We buy, sell and trade quality guns and scopes!Ask us about Shepherd Scopes!Visit our website at www.ApaxEnterprises.com
  • Options
    YankeeClipperYankeeClipper Member Posts: 669 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was lucky enought to inherit a MD 10, I won't go into the complete history but it is a good one. It was in a chimney closet from 1958 untill 1992, never saw the light of day. Very little wear. I've been told that it wasn't a very good success story because of the butterfly on the bottom, that once it got warn there was very little that could be done with it. Enlighten me.