In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Relining?

HAIRYHAIRY Member Posts: 23,606
edited September 2001 in Ask the Experts
Exactly what is relining? Does it entail inserting a new barrel? Am curious.

Comments

• Options
    Der GebirgsjagerDer Gebirgsjager Member Posts: 1,673 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well--kind of. What is done is that the bore is drilled out to accomodate insertion of a liner which is (compared to the original barrel) a very thin tube with rifling in it. The exterior of the tube is then "tinned" with solder, as is the interior of the newly drilled out bore. The barrel is put vertically in a bench vise and the liner tube is held on top in line with the bore (using some tongs, I hope!) and the barrel is heated. This causes the barrel to expand and the liner will slowly sink into the bore. As it progresses one must continue to feed in solder around the bore until the liner sinks from the muzzle down to the breech and the space between the two will accept no more solder. After it cools off the muzzle is crowned and the breech shaped or cut as necessary for the extractor, etc. Although some 'smiths will do this operation for high pressure cartridges like the .30-06 and .308 it is unwise as the heat from these cartridges will sometimes cause the solder to fail and the liner to begin to work forward causing headpace problems. The operation works quite well for low pressure cartridges like .25-20,.32-20, .44-40, etc. Probably the most common relining is for .22 rifles. The application is to turn old shot-out barrels back into shooters without rebarreling, and thereby entirely ruining the collector value; or to preserve the nostalgia of a family heirloom.
  • Options
    AntiqueDrAntiqueDr Member Posts: 691 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Another method that works well for .22LR uses AcraGlas to hold the liner in place. We choose not to drill the complete length of the barrel, but leave about 1/4" of the original bore at the muzzle, overbore that area slightly and recrown to original specifications. The relining is then not apparent from the muzzle.
    We buy, sell and trade quality guns and scopes!Ask us about Shepherd Scopes!Visit our website at www.ApaxEnterprises.com
  • Options
    HAIRYHAIRY Member Posts: 23,606
    edited November -1
    Wow, that's a lot of work! Thanks for the info.
  • Options
    YankeeClipperYankeeClipper Member Posts: 669 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I always appreciate someone taking the time to answer questions.Thanks. Did you ever hear of any one re-lining a .30 cal. barrel ?This is 7.62X54 Md 44 I know they sell cheap.But this one has a good story behind it.
  • Options
    rhmc24rhmc24 Member Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have relined several .22 RF barrels. Years ago I used the solder method, much as described above. In recent times I have used epoxy intended for metal repair. I understand muzzle loading barrels of larger bore are being done with epoxy also but have not done any myself. Hope this helps.
  • Options
    leeblackmanleeblackman Member Posts: 5,303 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I bought a used Savage-Stevens 987T .22lr that has a barrel liner in it and had a spherical crown done for $25. No kidding, and it shoots better than any other .22 I've got. Maybe I should just have new barrel liners put in all my .22's.