In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

High Standard Sentinel Deluxe

themickthemick Member Posts: 41 ✭✭
edited September 2001 in Ask the Experts
I have a High Standard Sentinel Deluxe with it's original box and papers. It is nickel (4 inch barrel and in nearly perfect shape. I say nearly because it has been fired. It is a W-107 made in 1969. Incidently, it is extremely accurate. Any thoughts as to its worth as I am considering selling it?

Comments

• Options
    marky12marky12 Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    themick:Blue Book lists your Sentinel at 98% at $140.What are you going to ask for it?
  • Options
    redcedarsredcedars Member Posts: 919 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mick:I don't know which book Marky is using, but I think your gun is worth more than that. Don't have time now, but I will post some details later.Your gun is the last alloy frome Sentinel model. Nickel guns bring a premium, as do LNIB guns. I think your gun will bring $225-$275 at auction, based on what I have seen.redcedars
  • Options
    j2k22j2k22 Member Posts: 329 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    the last nickled Sentinel in excellent condition went for about $200 here on GB
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Your R107 is the last of the Sentinel Deluxe guns. It had many of the features of the R104 Sentinel Imperial, except the heavy barrel and ramp front sight. Following it was the R108, a Sentinel Snub, and the R109 Kit Gun which had a different grip frame and was the only alloy frame gun with adjustable sights.These guns were designed by Harry Siefried for High Standard. He later went on to a long career with Ruger. HS was looking for an inexpensive "tackle box" gun design, cheaper than Colt or S&W but of a higher quality than the pot metal imports. Sears owned a big chunk of HS stock and wanted to buy, and they bought plenty, selling them as the Model 88 in numerous variations. A couple of years after the original Sentinel proved successful, the design was modified, largely cosmetically, to produce the Double Nine series of western-styled guns and its variations.The guns have many modern features, including recessed cylinders with firing pin relief cuts and a hammer block safety. The barrels were button rifled on the same tooling as the target pistols, resulting in extremely durable and accurate barrels. The design permitted an especially good trigger for a gun of this type and cost, with a crisp let-off and virtually no overtravel.In the past ten years there has been some collector interest in these guns, with prices for LNIB guns really jumping up, while "shooter" grade prices have not gone up nearly as much.You haven't mentioned the box; when HS finally ran out of the old maroon and yellow boxes, the Sentinel was delivered in a series of different boxes, mostly with a red and black color scheme. If you have one of the less common boxes, it would increase the value to a serious collector.I collect these guns and keep a close watch on prices, and I don't think my valuation is far wrong for a LNIB nickel gun. redcedars
  • Options
    themickthemick Member Posts: 41 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    thanks redcedars. I htink we have spoken before. I found a Natchez, by the way, that I am probably going to buy. I agree with your comments about the Sentinel. I got Jim Spacek's book, and found it a great resource. I have the Yellow and Maroon box, by the way. In fact, you have probably convinced me to hang onto mine. thanks.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    If you found a Natchez, jump on it. I am still looking for a Posse but I would probably buy just about any Natchez I found too! I'd love to know about it, if you don't mind, for my collection notes. You can e-mail me at redcedarss@aol.com if you want.I picked up a really nice Revelation 76, which is a Double Nine type, about 98% gun, box and papers at a little country gun show this morning. Love those farmers!redcedars
  • Options
    gundummygundummy Member Posts: 254
    edited November -1
    hello redcedars,I believe you responded to my previous post regarding my HS R-100 with 5" barrel and five digit serial # a few months back. I never ever got a clear answer to when this gun was made, or worth. If you look at the serialization #'s in the blue book, it was made in 1937???? anyways, after your responses, I started to get more interested in these HS revolvers and recently bought a LNIB nickel 4" Sentinal Deluxe with red and black lettered box (probably more common?). I too was wondering what this gun was worth. This post seems to describe exactly what I have, except I have the red box. It does list for about $150 for 98% in the book, but I always thought it was worth more. This gun was looked at by a couple of very knowledgable people who thought it was 99%+. In fact, one said that gun could have been test fire only from factory. It looked too good to be from the late 60's. Can you tell me what price range the red box would fetch??? Due to other interest, I think I'll list it shortly. Thanks, GD
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Dear GD:I recall the exchange of posts. If I remember correctly, I am thinking that I felt your R-100 was a very early gun. At least one authority thinks the 5" barrel R-100 is a myth based on parts list error, but since I have an R-105, another one he thinks is a myth, I think your gun is very early and may reflect non-standard serialization. If you will give me the Serial # again, I will look into it and see if I can figure it out. The alternative is to pay for a search from one of the guys who has copied the BATF serial records.As for your nickel gun, what I said above still goes. There were at least 3 different red and black box styles, so if you get a collector who doesn't have that box, he might pay a premium. redcedars