In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

ruger 30.06 ammo accuracy

danthemandantheman Member Posts: 259 ✭✭✭
edited September 2001 in Ask the Experts
i have a ruger m77 30.06 and am trying different weight bullets and manufacturers to see which is the most accurate. i will be using it for whitetails. its getting expenxive buying a full box only to find that some dont shoot too accurately. has anyone found an accurate load for this particular gun. it would save me time and money. thanks

Comments

• Options
    luger01luger01 Member Posts: 230 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    dantheman-Unfortunately, every rifle is a bit different, so you cannot generalize that Brand A ammo is good in Rugers, while Brand B is best in Winchesters.The best thing you can do is buy 2-3 brands, go the the range. and fire 3 groups of 3 (after a fouling shot or two) with each brand. Let the barrel cool completely between groups, like it would be on a hunt. Clean the bore very well when you change brands and repeat.Good quality ammo (spend a couple of bucks more and get premium grade with the bullets appropriate for what you plan to hunt) should easily group within two inches at 100 yards from a bench rest. If one brand (and lot number) does that - you're set. You shouldn't need more than that for hunting. Don't expect MOA or better from a hunting rifle - but if you get it, you've really got a gem of a rifle/ammo combo.Next, practice with that ammo from shooting positions you might have to use while hunting. If you can still hit three shots where you are aiming in a 3-4 inch group, you can get your game animal.Be sure to buy several boxes of whatever ammo you select and make sure it's the same lot number. You'll need several boxes for practice and for the next few years' hunts.Finally, consider getting into handloading. You can shoot lots more for less money, you can tailor your loads to the animal and conditions of your hunt, and it's fun, too!
  • Options
    Der GebirgsjagerDer Gebirgsjager Member Posts: 1,673 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    AAAAhhhh! Luger01 a wise man! Handloading is the answer. Start with the starting load in a current reloading manual and slowly work upward until you have satisfactory accuracy. If you buy boxes and boxes of factory ammo, shot one or two groups from each box, and are dissatisfied with the results, and have--let's say--15 or 18 rounds left in each box, send the extras to me! (Address upon request). Seriously, fooling around with factory ammo can be a seriously expensive option; handloading will let you cover a lot of ground for much less expense.
  • Options
    ghotie_thumperghotie_thumper Member Posts: 1,561 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Federal Classic ammo in 150 grain is the most accurate factory ammo in my 3006.