In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Early deer hunting strategy

RedlegRedleg Member Posts: 417 ✭✭✭
edited September 2001 in Ask the Experts
All:Have a question about early deer hunting strategies. What are some good tips? Please, fill my head with knowledge! Thanks!(I live in Missouri)
Crush your enemies, drive their horses before you, hear the lamentation of their women.--Genghis Khan

Comments

• Options
    ndbillyndbilly Member Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I also like - "We will slaughter your men, steal your women and dance on the bones of your children." I think it was Arnold S. in one of those Conan flicks.RE: Early Deer Hunting Tips. I am by no means an expert, but have had some success over the past twenty years. Best advice I ever got is what I'll pass along: Scout, scout, scout. The more time you can spend in the woods you plan to hunt, the better prepared you'll be. I would suggest, if your schedule allows, going early in the morning and/or late in the afternoon as the critters tend to be more active during tose times. If you haven't found a place to hunt yet, you should get on that ASAP. Archery starts very soon and the gun season will be here before you know it. Good luck!
  • Options
    DaRoostaDaRoosta Member Posts: 270 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Make sure you know your weapon. You may only get one chance, so make it count. Even if you know your gun or bow is sighted in, make sure. Go to the range and check it out. I'm a firm believer that practice is key.Other than that, make sure you have fun and be safe. I'm sure you'll have lots of responses on this topic, so I just thought I'd add my #1 objective. Good luck.
  • Options
    ndbillyndbilly Member Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Daroosta - I once shot at a deer from about forty paces with a rifle I hadn't touched since the season before. Broadside shot, I was holding just behind the right shoulder. He took off after I fired and ran in a big loop, eventually passing under my stand. I shot again as he passed beneath me and he fell dead with the second shot. Reconstructing things later, it was clear that my first shot was very much off the mark and not at all in a vital area. After a few rounds at the range the next day, I found out my rifle was shooting about 9" high! How the sights were thrown off by that much I still can't explain but the experience illustrates your point. Never take it for granted that your weapon is still holding to its sights. Get to the range as close to opening day as you can, satisfy yourself that you're zeroed, and handle the weapon with kid gloves from that point forward.
  • Options
    Shootist3006Shootist3006 Member Posts: 4,171
    edited November -1
    Scout, practice, scout, practice, scout, practice.....Try to get 8 or 10 days, early morning and evening, just sitting and looking and listening. If you can't get that time, try talking to locals, most will help point you to the general area (if public land).Go to the range, plan to shoot at least 100 rounds or as many over that as it takes to hit a 4" circle on the 1st shot, every time.The maximum range at which you can do that is your maximum hunting range. Shoot standing with a post or tree for support, sitting with same support, and kneeling (also supported). Don't waste you time and ammo practicing prone or bench (except to zero in) as you most likely will not hunt with a bench and sandbags. If you hunt from a stand, practice shooting from it.Good luck!
    Quod principi placuit legis habet vigorem.Semper Fidelis
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,958 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Scouting is an important key. If you are hunting on a farm, you might want to do your scouting on a tractor, as wildlife tends to ignore tractors which they see a lot, and which doesn't shoot at them. If you are scouting before the harvest and will be hunting after, remember that this will likely change the habits of the deer. Hunted in NW Missouri last year and we saw the same does day after day, but the bucks were in deeper cover and tended to have larger ranges. Good Luck!
  • Options
    steve45steve45 Member Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you are hunting a busy area with a lot of hunters on the first day, sit quietly and let the other hunters run them to you.
  • Options
    legn4legn4 Member Posts: 481 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Pay attention to the wind and acorns.
    Work'n like a dog all nite
  • Options
    simonbssimonbs Member Posts: 994
    edited November -1
    Hey Redleg,Are you at Fort Lost in the Woods? I spent a little time there - 'bout nine weeks. Bravo 247.If you are, I know a DI that might still be there that hunts on the post. He, or any other that hunts there could probably help you out more than anyone thats not in the area (except for the general tips that can/should be used everywhere).[This message has been edited by simonbs (edited 09-25-2001).]
  • Options
    RedlegRedleg Member Posts: 417 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yeah, I'm at Ft L Wood....hunting has been cancelled on post until at least next year! Luckily, my house backs up to the national forest. There is going to be a great season next year seeing as there is no pressure on the deer herd.
  • Options
    crazyplane21crazyplane21 Member Posts: 11 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Redleg, My best hunts have been when I stayed in the stand all day long. I bring a lunch, snacks, water and somewhere to put the used water. Sometimes even a book to read. It seems like hunters getting out of there stands to go eat lunch or go home for the afternoon get 'em runnin'. I've had some of my biggest bucks taken in the afternoon when everyone's coming back into the woods. Hope this helps you out.