In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Golden Rods

cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,432 ✭✭✭✭
edited September 2001 in Ask the Experts
Guys,I'm no expert. That's why I'm here. I expect my safe in a couple of weeks. I know that moisture is a real problem. I hear good things about these electric dehumidifing rods. I just don't see how they dehumidify. The moisture has to go somewhere. Maybe by raising the temp. in the safe, condinsation won't occur. Yes, maybe that is enough. Does anyone use desiccants?Thanks,Jeff
It's too late for me, save yourself.

Comments

• Options
    ref44ref44 Member Posts: 251 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had a safe in humid Houston for 12 years and never used any kind of "protection" at all and never had any sign of rust. I am a chemist (now retired to Colorado) and tried using a color-indicating dessicant (Drie-Rite) when I first got the safe. Again, I was in Houston, and with central air conditioning, I found the dessicant had to be changed everyday. The goldenrod cannot possibly drive out as much water vapor as is trapped by the dessicant. That is why I quit...and never had any problem.
  • Options
    RembrandtRembrandt Member Posts: 4,486 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Golden rods work like a low wattage light bulb in a damp or frosted area, doesn't take much heat to eliminate the condensation around the bulb. They work great, have had one in my safe for almost 10 years. Also have dessicant as a backup should the power ever go out. Our gun club's safe did not have any protection and had rust on the guns within a couple of months...didn't take them long to get one installed. The safe was in a non-Air Conditioned basement. It also depends how good the seal is around your door. [This message has been edited by Rembrandt (edited 09-25-2001).]