In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

let's talk DYI tactical lights for shot guns.

lordskulllordskull Member Posts: 16 ✭✭
edited September 2001 in Ask the Experts
Seems to me it would not be to hard to make your own mount and setup with a mini Mag or some other high end Xeon light. wiring a remote switch also should not be a big deal.anyone do this already? I just can't see my self paying 150.00 or more for a light and mount.and what about laser sight. " Remember we are taking shotguns" I can buy a laser pointer for 10 bucks, so why does a laser for a gun cost 400.00 dollars.please enlighten me.any ideas comments.

Comments

• Options
    j2k22j2k22 Member Posts: 329 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    it can be done. As you suggest, a Xenon-bulb dive light is a good starting point. You can adapt scope mounts to hold the light; I mounted one on top of a "sidesaddle" shell holder. You need to have some mechanic/machinist skills to rig a remote switch. I driiled & tapped holes through the back of the flashlight casing , then installed studs that touched the battery terminals inside, and ran wires from the studs to a doorbell type switch on the forend. A simple, but effective rig. The main concern is that everything be hell-for-stout in order to stand up to the recoil. The first version of this rig worked well in the shop, but crapped out after 2 rounds at the range. I also made a similar rig on my Benjamin air rifle, and it is hell on rats.