In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Beretta 84F

royc38royc38 Member Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭
edited September 2001 in Ask the Experts
I recently bought a used Beretta 84f in .380 cal. It came with one 13 rd mag. My problem is the slide won't stay open on the last shot. If you slip your pinky finger under the mag and apply just a little pressure then it will stay open. I wasn't sure if it was the gun or the mag so I bought two spares. Well they just arrived and I tried them both and still the same problem. Does anyone out there have any suggestions as to what my problem is and how to rectify it?

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    I see in the bkue books that this gun model was made for only 1 year. does anyone have any idea what they are worth?? the blue book does not list a value
    Thanks
    Dave
  • Options
    lrarmsxlrarmsx Member Posts: 791 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Are any of the magazines actual factory or are the aftermarket? Are there any markings on the mags? If there isn't, they aren't factory. The holes in the back should be marked with 4, 8, and 13. The floor plate should say "CAL. 9 Short/380 Auto" on the bottom. If the mags you have aren't factory, that is most likely the cause of your problem. If they are factory then you could have a bent slide stop or need some oil between the slide stop and the frame. Also check to see if the gun is excessively dirty.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    One mag is original, but the other two are not.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Dano I have one factory and two afternarket mags. The thing that bothers me is that I have to use my little finger to apply a little pressure to make it work correctly. The two new mags that I just bought were aftermarket so do you think that I should buy another factory beretta mag before I have the gun worked on?
  • Options
    will270winwill270win Member Posts: 4,845
    edited November -1
    Make sure your thumb or fingers are NOT AT ALL TOUCHING THE SLIDE CATCH. I went through 14 magazines in a 92f before the armorer went to the range and noticed my thumb was toouching the foward part of the slide catch thereby preventing the dang thing from doing it's job.
    If you run, you'll just die tired!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for all your help guys. I am going to try the new factory mag trick to see if that works and I will let you know. Again thanks to all of you for your considerate advice.
  • Options
    leeblackmanleeblackman Member Posts: 5,303 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dude, I'd just take it to a dealer or gunsmith, it was probably taken apart, and not put back together right. Doesn't sound like anything major. I doubt its the magazines, thats just the easiest answer. Probably the spring that assists the slide catch is in upsidedown, or maybe the slidecatch itself needs replaced. Just take it to a gunsmith, be the most logical thing to do, if he wants to charge you over $30 to fix it, go to another one...That or you might look into contacting a factory sales rep. They will probably hook you up with an experienced troubleshooter, could be something minor enough to be fixed over the phone.