In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

slug guns

gd714gd714 Member Posts: 36 ✭✭
edited September 2001 in Ask the Experts
What gun will shoot 200 yards accuratly out of the box?

Comments

• Options
    gd714gd714 Member Posts: 36 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Message: I need help or opinion/experience.winchester 1300 pump or remington 870. which is the better choice? I will be hunting from a tree stand- shots at about 100 to 200 yards.whith 4x pro diamond by simmons.
  • Options
    32wsl32wsl Member Posts: 68 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    100-110 yards is as far as you want to try with a 12ga, 3", scoped, or otherwise. It is wise to set up for shots from 30-70 yards. After having said that, I use a 12ga2&3/4 scoped 870 w/hastings rifled barrel w/solid core slugs, but have no opinion on other shotguns.
  • Options
    simonbssimonbs Member Posts: 994
    edited November -1
  • Options
    s.guns.gun Member Posts: 3,245
    edited November -1
    Hit em twice with a Slug (12 ga.)at 100 yds.and not hit the heart or lungs and you will probably never find em.
  • Options
    leeblackmanleeblackman Member Posts: 5,303 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Get a rifle, slug guns aren't designed for the 100-200yd range...But if your contempt on buying a slug gun you should at least know all your options.I personally like the browning BPS Slug Gun, but between the two I'd go with the 870 with synthetic stocks.
  • Options
    Guns & GlassGuns & Glass Member Posts: 864 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Generally greater accuracy at longer distances will be equal between the Win 1200 vs Rem 870. They both use barrels with short receiver tangs, so they are somewhat limited as to the lockup in the receiver. Compared to Rem 1100/1187, and Browning which have tangs twice as long. Ithaca's barrel is screwed in like most rifle barrels.It is very easy to get 3-5" groups at 75 yds!It is easy to get 1-3" groups at 100 yds! It is possible to get 1" groups at 125 yds!Practice, trying different ammo. My brother has a Browning BPS 12ga. that shoots 3 shot 1 1/2" groups @ 75yds., 3 1/2" @100 yds. using 4X Leupold, and Rem's Improved Foster style slugs. When shooting ANY sabot style...groups open to 4-6" @ 75yds., and go wild @ 100yds 10" with flyers.We experimented going as far as trying the standard 28" barrel with Brownings Rifled Ported Choke tube. At 75yds using Rem's rifled slug, and Brenneke slugs he shot consistent 1 1/2" groups! Barrel length was 32". Talk about reaching out... He shot a Pennsylvania 6 point in 1998 from a stand. But it's too cumbersome to mountain hunt, and won't use the long barrel anymore.I have a Rem 1100 22" heavy barrel, with a special rifled choke tube. B-Square new style mounts, 3-9 Zeiss(had 2-8 Leupold),and cleaned up the trigger that shoots 1",3shot groups a 100yds., with Brenneke rifled slugs only.It won't shoot groups less than 5-6" with sabots, even the esteemed Lightfield.Bet we spent $175 bewteen us on ammo. But we learned that slug guns are very much ammo specific, and had alot of fun. Some "old" things still work.
    Happy Bullet Holes!
  • Options
    gunnutgunnut Member Posts: 724 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mossberg 835 24in FR Ported/federal prem. sabots/cantilever scope mount shoots 1 1.25 100yds
  • Options
    leeblackmanleeblackman Member Posts: 5,303 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm sorry its just to hard for me to believe a 12ga slug gun getting a 1" group. A 2" grouping is a little more believable. Considering the slug itself is about 1/2". I do concieve of using it on game up to 100yds though, thats totally normal, know a few people who use them as brush guns. But when you start talking about that 200yd shot, no, just don't see it happenen. Does anyone even know how much a 7/8oz slug drops at 200yds, or how much muzzle energy it has?
  • Options
    Guns & GlassGuns & Glass Member Posts: 864 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Have a Varmit Hunter friend who has a rifle rig that he shoots comfortably out too 600(six) hundred yds. He will shoot better, at longer distances since he now has a better scope, and if he ever slows down enough. Not sure which is faster, the bullet or him. He recently "loaned" his rig to a world class shooter, who almost broke the worlds record. Wind dropped last shot.My sister's exboyfriend, is in the Seals. He took a Styer SSG PII, and cut my group by 25%(we were both sub MOA). Never shot the rifle before!What is the only difference?... The shooters.Took my one slug gun, put a 3-9X scope on it, cleaned up the trigger pull(crisp letoff), it chopped my groups considerably. Remember for every .001(one thousandths) inch muzzle movement, @ 100 yds. that is approx. 1 (one) inch movement in a straight line. Human hair is between .003"-.005". With lower power scopes you can't see the movement. Don't actually hunt with the 3-9X, just did it for testing. Also, not taken into consideration: projectile trajectory, ammo accuracy, marksmanship, etc., they have big effects.Try shooting dummy rounds, and watch how much the reticle moves. Amazing.Just think of all the fun you can have trying out "new" guns/accessories, ammo, etc., to get your rig to perform like you want it too.Then,...think of how confidently you will feel going hunting,.... knowing that... "your dead on"! It feels so good.
    Happy Bullet Holes!