In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Loading the 7.7 jap

218Beekeep218Beekeep Member Posts: 3,033
edited September 2001 in Ask the Experts
I have a sporterised 99 Arisaka which is absolutely beautiful ,nobody would pay my price at the shows that I set up at. So I bought dies, and am gunna load for it,using 30-06 brass.I know what I`m gunna do ,the 7.7 takes a .312 bullet,the closest thing I can easily find is the .311 brit bullet,I plan to use it.Also there are .310 bullets available for 30-30 win.Should I try both,or just go with the .311 bullet??

Comments

• Options
    shaneshane Member Posts: 882 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    218, My wifes grandfather has an old gun that shoots the 7.7 and he asked me some time back to find him a few good boxes of shells for it. Let me know how yours turn out. I may want to buy some if you're gonna sell any.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    shane,who knows,maybe I`ll drop them off at your door one day.
  • Options
    shaneshane Member Posts: 882 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well that would be mighty southern of ya 218!
  • Options
    w n whitew n white Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    GreetingsHave had 7.7's, gave one to museam in Anchorage, the other was stollen darn. any way you must be aware that the base on the7.7 is larger than 06, you will get a bulge in the case ahead of the solid base. Never heard of one seperating-but-there is always the first time. Be carefull don't overdo the pressure, the gun will handle it but can the brass? Good luck Bill
  • Options
    XP100XP100 Member Posts: 436 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    You can order new 7.7 Norma brass from Midway.
  • Options
    IconoclastIconoclast Member Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bee -(a) Slug your barrel if you can.(b) Will do some research on this for you.(c) *Do* go with the Norma brass - I've seen several very ugly '06 cases that were used this way. No complete separations, but partials galore.(d) Feel free to contact me directly. Will trade goodies/info for gator meat [grin].
    "Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue." Cicero "Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." Frederick Douglasstcg25@hotmail.com
  • Options
    john carrjohn carr Member Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    TAke it from one who has been there and back with the 30.06, bite the bullet and buy the Norma brass and live happily ever after. Huntington's has them at about .75 ea and you can buy any amount you want.
  • Options
    Shootist3006Shootist3006 Member Posts: 4,171
    edited November -1
    Bee, go with the advice above. Have a friend who got hurt a bit when his 30-06 brass failed in a jap rifle. As someone stated www.midwayusa.com has Norma brass at $62.99/100 and Hornady makes a .312 bullet in both 150 and 174 grains. Good luck.
    Quod principi placuit legis habet vigorem.Semper Fidelis
  • Options
    Shootist3006Shootist3006 Member Posts: 4,171
    edited November -1
    Bee, go with the advice above. Have a friend who got hurt a bit when his 30-06 brass failed in a jap rifle. As someone stated www.midwayusa.com has Norma brass at $62.99/100 and Hornady makes a .312 bullet in both 150 and 174 grains. Good luck.
    Quod principi placuit legis habet vigorem.Semper Fidelis
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Well,it do look like some folks is concerned for the safety of ol` .218.....Nice ta come home from work,clik on the ol` GB,and feel the love. Just kiddin`,I`ll take your advice,thanks!! .218
    Will the last reb to leave flarda,please bring the flag?[This message has been edited by 218Beekeep (edited 09-27-2001).]
  • Options
    king999king999 Member Posts: 450 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Afraid I must disagree with the worry-warts. I have been shooting the 7.7 Arisaka for 30 years. Have used perhaps a dozen different ones; never had the least difficulty with any of them. I have ALWAYS used resized USGI 30/06. I have also tried Norma cases. Very little difference except that they gave neck separations after 3-5 loads. I have no idea how many times I've reloaded the 30/06 cases. After many loads I have experienced neck splits, but never a separation with the 30/06. The significant factor may be that I use USGI brass, not commercial. Most of the loading tables are rather conservative. Any listed load for 303 Brit, 8 mmMauser, 308 Win is easily OK for the Arisaka. The story of the oversized rear of the case is largely imaginary. Remember, the FIRED case that you are using has already expanded in the 30/06 chamber, and the dimensional differences are not significant. Probably the ideal bullet would be .311, but I have used between .310 and .313 and can't tell much difference. The Russian 7.62 X 54R uses a .310 and if you can get them they'll work quite well, but don't use the bullets from the 7.62 X 39. The diameter is OK but they are either too light or tip too easily, I could not get good results with them. Have fun. Let me know how you do.Morty (mkood@prodigy.net)
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Well,Well,thanks king999,that 75 cents a round just for cases wasn`t sounding to good.Guess it aint a closed case yet after all.