In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

cast bullet loads for 400 COR BON

roysharoysha Member Posts: 749 ✭✭✭✭
edited September 2001 in Ask the Experts
Has anyone done much loading of the 150-155 gr. cast bullet in the 400 COR BON? If so, could you please tell me what you used and the results? Data for this cartridge is a bit scarce and the powder companys are of virtually no help. Most of the web sites deal primarily with jacketed bullets or very heavy cast bullets.

Comments

• Options
    ranahanranahan Member Posts: 38 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Your question prompts another obvious question. If you're interested in cast bullet loads, why bother with the expence and bother of setting up to shoot this essentially high velocity cartridge?There are simpler, better choices for the purpose, with lotd of data available.ranahan
  • Options
    spclarkspclark Member Posts: 408
    edited November -1
    The CorBon cartridges reach higher velocities than cast bullets can typically withstand; your barrel will foul pretty quickly.There's a company in Oregon that you may want to check out that has an extensive line of cast bullets using a proprietary silver-containing alloy that they claim can allow jacketed-bullet velocities with cast bullets. Their website is: http://www.laser-cast.com Still though, I'd advise caution & that you check with their technical folks for answers about suitability of their bullets for CorBon loads.
  • Options
    roysharoysha Member Posts: 749 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the response. Lately this is pretty much typical of the "expert advice" one can expect on this board. However, to answer your question, there are some of us that do not like to, or feel it necessary to shoot each and every gun at full power. Essentially, I shoot for the fun of it and the more I can shoot the better I like it. Shooting cast bullet loads allows me to shoot about 4 to 1 more than jacketed bullets. I doubt that the can or clod or piece of scrap wood that I'm shooting at, can really tell the difference, while I can and do, both in physical feeling and in the pocket book. I doubt that you rev your car's engine up to it's maximun hp everytime you accelerate from a stop, so why should one need to shoot maximun all the time. It's nice to know that the power is there if needed, but how often is it NEEDED?One last thing. Apparently you know very little about cast bullets or you would not comment about the velocity factor. I doubt that this cartridge can be loaded fast enough using quality cast bullets to cause any problems. I have shot 1000s of rounds through my 44 Mag over the last 15 years, at a chronoghaphed vel. of 1175. I usually have to clean the cylinder charge holes before I have to delead barrel. I have an S&W 32 Mag that is chronographed at 1265fps, same story. Nothing I have found indicates that you can exceed these velocities very much, even with jacketed bullet, in this round given the bullet weight I inquired about.This was in response to ranahan. The other response was posted before I finished my comments. [This message has been edited by roysha (edited 09-15-2001).]
  • Options
    JerryTJerryT Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a 400 corbon barrel on my 1911 for about three years now. I agree there is little reloading data for lead bullets. The only load I have and use is: 180gr cast lead swc, 5.0grs of unique powder. This is a good and acurate load for me. I also load the 125gr and 155gr jhp bullets but like you I wanted to shoot lead bullets to pratice with and to keep use to the pistol. I also light load for my colt anaconda 44 mag. I load 240gr lswc with 5.5grs of green dot powder at about 8oofps. My daughter can shoot this load using one hand. Very light recoil and very acurate. Please share any 400 corbon lead bullet loads with me. Regards, Jerry