In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Scope suggestion for Remington 700 PSS .308,26" barrel?

Josey1Josey1 Member Posts: 9,598 ✭✭
edited September 2001 in Ask the Experts
I had one of these rifles before but sold it to my brother(which I've regretted).So I went and bought another,the scope I had previously was a Leupold Vari-x3-9mm-50MM.While I thought that scope was fine I was just looking for different options in the $300 range,any and all help would be greatly appretiated.Also which model Harris bipod is best suited for the PSS?Thanks,Josey.

Comments

• Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,964 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have been pleased with Leupold though I use 1.75-6x. I have also been pleased with my Nikon Monarch, and for a less expensive scope the Weaver Grand Slam is a good value.
  • Options
    cpermdcpermd Member Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Tasco 10X SS from SWFAcpermd
  • Options
    wiredogwiredog Member Posts: 116 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My brother has one with a Leupold Mark 4. It is a fixed 10X with a .308 cam and bullet compensator. Since you are wanting to stick to under $300 I offer two suggestions. Bass Pro Shop had Leupold 3x9x40 vari-x II's on sale for $177 That is below dealer cost and a good deal if they are still on sale and have any left. My second suggestion and what I would go with is A Kahles ZF-84, Bronco Trading company has a scratch and dent sale on these. They have an ad in shotgun news. They are 6 X 42 w/target turrets,mil dot and ranging recticle and cammed for the .308, rubber sunshade The optics and mechanics are correct. The outside may be scratched or scraped but the quality optics are still there. This is a great price but the quantity is limited. There e-mail is garandbayo@aol.com the phone is 817.446.1244 and the fax is 817.492.9709 They are located in Ft. Worth Tx. and take credit cards. They have a 7 day return on ALL sales if not completely satisfied. Hope this helps.
    I spent all my money on guns, women, and beer. The rest I just wasted.wiredog70@hotmail.com
  • Options
    oneminuteoneminute Member Posts: 37 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Kahles ZF scopes have 26mm tubes. Most of them were taken off of Steyr SSG's with Steyr's proprietary rings. Great scope. Just an odd tube diameter.Stick with Leupold.
  • Options
    OrphanedcowboyOrphanedcowboy Member Posts: 351 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I bought a M8 6 x 42 from Wholesale Hunter, they use Msn's auction site, less than $350 for a matte target, I have a LM-S series(legs eject) Harris bipod on my PSS, and I love it, it swivels and allows you to level the gun, I also put the Brownells competitor sling on it as well, Check out Wholesale Hunter, they have some of the best prices on optics I have seen, Orphanedcowboy
    Let us Show the World our true colors, Unite and be Heard!
  • Options
    will270winwill270win Member Posts: 4,845
    edited November -1
    Anything but a dang Springfield. If'n you can get a hold of a Leupold 3.5-10x50AO it would be a good one. I just got rid of a Springfield(the hard way)and because of the suggestions I recieved, I bid on and won a Leupold mentioned above. It's the same model that is on my .223 PSS has the target turrets and all. That Tasco the doc mentioned is an excellent choice also, especially with the price.By the way I have the same model rifle, do you have an extra box mag?
    If you run, you'll just die tired!
  • Options
    cpermdcpermd Member Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have three 700 " sniper" rifles right nowTasco 10X SSLeupold 10X MK4 M3 Leupold LRT 4X14 30mm with MilDots and side focus.The M3 is not accurate enough at >600 yds.The other 2 are great.cpermd
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,964 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hey Josey, when you are ready to buy take a look at www.bearbasin.com I have found them the cheapest dealers for optics, with knowledgeable people and fine service. They once had a computer problem that ate a couple of orders including mine, and they gave me free express shipping, profound apologies, and an extra $10 off the scope.
  • Options
    Josey1Josey1 Member Posts: 9,598 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thank you all for the terrific suggestions,I will let ya'll know when I figure it out for myself,thanks again,Josey
  • Options
    Dragunov7.62x54RDragunov7.62x54R Member Posts: 35 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Will270win- just out of curiosity what was wrong with your Springfield scope???