In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

"I can't justify it but I gotta have it..."

ndbillyndbilly Member Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 2001 in Ask the Experts
OK - What do you do when you get that itch? You know the one. Say you pick up a model 70 Safari in .458. It's about $900 out the door which is $899 more than you have to spend. No practical reason for owning it, ridiculously expensive to shoot, physically punishing but, dang, IS THIS NEAT, OR WHAT?!?!? Do you walk or start filling out papers? In my experience, I've walked about three times and regretted it every time. I once had a chance on a Czech AK, 1500 rds of handloads and 4 thirty round mags for about next to nothing at the time and passed because of rumors about layoffs at work. AAARRRGGGHHH!!!! Still no "bannana clips" in the locker.

Comments

• Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,960 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I remind myself that if I get drawn for three permits a year it will take three years to use all of the rifles once. I don't have the slightest need for another rifle. But, if you are a collector you want one. If you have no debt, the kids education is assured and you have an understanding wife (who collects beanie babies and WANTS to go to gunshows with you), no problem. Otherwise...
  • Options
    badboybobbadboybob Member Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Buy the darn thing!
    So many guns to buy. So little money.
  • Options
    jacksvjacksv Member Posts: 35 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Walk away and save your money. You want it because of the Mt. Everest principle which is because its there....
  • Options
    XracerXracer Member Posts: 1,990
    edited November -1
    "The only difference between a man and a boy, is the price of his toys."....and...."He who dies with the most toys, wins!".458? Well, ya can never tell when you'll be accosted by a REALLY mean chipmunk! [This message has been edited by Xracer (edited 09-29-2001).]
  • Options
    YankeeClipperYankeeClipper Member Posts: 669 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Buy it, if push comes to shove you can sell it.
  • Options
    smooth_operatorsmooth_operator Member Posts: 227 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Buy it...then use the best excuse you can find in here to justify your actions to your wife, eg. your dad gave it to you or you bought it for $50! -Smooth
    Life is the leading cause of death.Everything else is just a contributing factor.
  • Options
    landislandis Member Posts: 230 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Life is short, you can always sell it.
  • Options
    kimberkidkimberkid Member Posts: 8,857 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Unless you have to write a hot check ... buy it!I really like dano's thought process ... "When in doubt buy it! ... Maybe because thats what I do!P.S. I do have an understanding wife.
    GUN CONTROL: If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention!kimberkid@gunbroker.zzn.com
    If you really desire something, you'll find a way ?
    ? otherwise, you'll find an excuse.
  • Options
    Dragunov7.62x54RDragunov7.62x54R Member Posts: 35 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The title of your post is the story of my life. I say buy it. Don't worry about justifying it, you'll think about that later. Believe me I always do. If you have the money for it, just look at it like an investment. And like Xracer said, when that chipmunk comes after you, a couple of shots with a .458 should at least scare it off. I don't know maybe you should save up some more money and get a .50bmg, the chipmunks may be alot bigger where you live....
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's a desease and most of us have that compulsion.I was in a model shop when a guy with his wife were looking for wheels for a model airplane. He was shown a pair for $3 and a fine pair for $50. After they left, the owner commented "He'll be back without the wife and take the $50 pair". Thats how we are. A Moisin Nagant will do it but who the hell wants one.