In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Price check in aisle 5 please?!

Josey1Josey1 Member Posts: 9,598 ✭✭
edited September 2001 in Ask the Experts
I was wondering if anyone had an idea of the value of a Remington "Sportmaster" model 512 .22 short.long bolt action rifle in very good to excellent condition.Also the wood is in excellent codition save a few minor discolorations.Would there be anything wrong with stripping the wood and refinishing as well as freshening up the blueing as far as affecting the value.Thanks so much,Josey.

Comments

• Options
    ironsitesironsites Member Posts: 97 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Top dollar according to the books- $185.00 to $215.00 Unless there is rust,I would leave it original. I don't like to buy guns with stocks that have been re-done unprofessionally as they look cheap.
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,956 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Josey1 I am looking at the blue book 19 (1998) which lists the Model 512A and 512P but does not indicate a "Sportmaster." It may be incomplete or the sportmaster may be one of the two models. In any event, in 100% condition they were listed at $150 and $200 respectively. In the real world they could bring more or less, and in used condition the value would be proportionaly less (both at $100 in 90% then). If you plan to keep it for a shooter, then it does not matter if you refinish and reblue, but those actions will hurt resale value. Some restorations, mostly of really old peices, done by experts can inhance value, but that is not likely for a rifle built from '39-62. Some of the dealers on the board may be able to give you some real world values.