In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

30-06 in the Model 99?

CLRCLR Member Posts: 31 ✭✭
edited September 2001 in Ask the Experts
Another option in this case is have the barrel pulled and set back one thread by a competent gunsmith. Then it is rechambered using a 30-06 reamer. Basically what is left is a 31-06. Now the 30-06 brass fits perfectly. This was a common conversion years ago.

Comments

• Iroquois ScoutIroquois Scout Member Posts: 930 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Which model 99 are you talking about? I assume that you are talking about the Japanese model 99. Why not just leave it in the original 7.7X58 which is about the same thing as the 308 Winchester. While the Japanese model 99 actions are very strong,even the pre war rifles are very crudely made by any standard. As the war went on quality went down hill to the point that some of the last ditch rifles are unsafe to shoot. I think that I would rather spend the money on something more worth while and have something when you are finished then spend more the rifle is worth and lose the collector value as well.