In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

What 45 auto?

gpbogaczgpbogacz Member Posts: 16 ✭✭
edited October 2001 in Ask the Experts
I am interested in hearing everyones ideas and opinions on these different 45 autos....I am looking to get a first and a Kimber is out of my price range even used.....AMT HardballerSafari Arms MatchmasterRock River modelCharles Daley modelColt modelPara-Ordance modelor other models of 1911'sThanks for any infoPete

Comments

• Options
    RembrandtRembrandt Member Posts: 4,486 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    What's your price range?
  • Options
    gravediggergravedigger Member Posts: 945 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am looking for my first 1911 as well. I think I'm gonna just bite the bullet and buy a Kimber. The Custom is very reasonable.-Marcus
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I am hoping to get one under $500. I don't mind getting one used. I am just looking for something fun to shoot in a 1911 style. I just don't want a piece of junk!ThanksPete
  • Options
    luger01luger01 Member Posts: 230 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This was recently discussed here - check the archives using the search feature.For convenience, the factory 1911s worth considering are: Kimber, Springfield, Para Ordinance, and for the budget-minded, Daly. For those with deeper pockets, look to Wilson and Baer for excellent cemi-custom pistols.Forget about the others unless you desire to be on very good terms with your gunsmith, because you'll be financing his new boat/rifle/car/etc. with all the money you'll pay him to fix what should never have left the factory. Or else, you'll end up supporting FedEx or UPS shipping the POS back to the company, who will 'repair' what's wrong, ship it back to you only to find something else (or the same problems) still wrong.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I checked the archives and mainly got, buy a Kimber, buy a Kimber, buy a Kimber. I was looking other opinions, like yours.Thanks for the help!Pete
  • Options
    ndbillyndbilly Member Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Only one I've ever owned was from Springfield Armory. Never, I mean never, jammed no matter what I fed it. Very accurate without doing anything to the factory sights (white three-dot system). Came with two mags at the time. Paid about 5 bills back in '89 or '90.
  • Options
    gunny6gunny6 Member Posts: 61 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Buy the best Colt you can afford..my 2cents..
  • Options
    wiredogwiredog Member Posts: 116 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The only 1911 I have ever owned was a 1911 Speringfield from WWI mfd. in 1915. I sold it to a collector. My brother bought a tricked out new Springfield Armory and had no trouble with it. It was under the $500. He also purchased 2 consecutive serial numbered Rock Island .45's and at $285 a piece that aint bad for a stock G.I. 45. I do not know any details about them though, maybe someone else has some first hand experience.
    I spent all my money on guns, women, and beer. The rest I just wasted.wiredog70@hotmail.com
  • Options
    idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you go with a Para-Ordnance (good quality), go with the Limited Series. The difference in price is negligible but would cost you a small fortune to get a standard P-series and have all the upgrades done to it. It depends if you mind double-stack vs. single-stack magazines. I'd recommend a single-stack since there are many high-quality competition-grade aftermarket mags to be found. Avoid Springfield. If you must have a Springfield, get a quality aftermarket barrel for it. With regards to the Sprinfield, there are some top 1911 accurizers in the USA that will not guarantee their gunsmithing work with regards to the Springfield barrels because they tend to be rather weak.[This message has been edited by idsman75 (edited 09-30-2001).]
  • Options
    axlerfanaxlerfan Member Posts: 713 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    bought a Griffon 45 a while back. wasnt pricey at all, right at 325. came factory with extended slide stop, ambi safety, 3 dot nite sites. bought it as a project gun to play around with. before i started tinkering, i ran about 900 rounds thru it, and the only failure i had was with the Blazer ammo (under recoil the bullets in the mag would shift within the case. this resulted in a much too short oal cartridge and would cause jams). i stopped trying blazers and it works fine (to be honest, ive had the same situation happen with my other 45s and my sig 40 using Blazer ammo). the gun seems to be well made, fit of parts is great, however there are some tooling marks visible in a few places on some parts. all 45 accessories seem to drop right in. ive tricked it out with a ramped match comped barrel, trigger job (was ok to begin with, now its great), nicer grips. id buy another anytime.
  • Options
    smooth_operatorsmooth_operator Member Posts: 227 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    SPRINGFIELD ARMORY LOADED SERIES You get an entry level pistol with all the goodies you will be eventually changing in case you get a GI model: extended safety lowered and flared ejection port, beavertail safety, skeleton hammer, novak sights etc. From personal experience, 3000+rds and not a single malfunction. The fact that the retial price when they were new was only $460-560 is something worth looking into. Okay, so there is one slight drawback to all these. If i'm not mistaken, SA stopped this loaded promo already so you might be hunting for used ones which will be in the vicinity of $400+.-Smooth
    Life is the leading cause of death.Everything else is just a contributing factor.[This message has been edited by smooth_operator (edited 10-01-2001).]
  • Options
    kimberkidkimberkid Member Posts: 8,857 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    dano,Since when did Glock start making a 1911
    GUN CONTROL: If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention!kimberkid@gunbroker.zzn.com
    If you really desire something, you'll find a way ?
    ? otherwise, you'll find an excuse.