In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

need help with stock refinishing.

spec.4spec.4 Member Posts: 897 ✭✭✭
edited October 2001 in Ask the Experts
I bought a all matching Swedish 96 mauser that has the cosmo stuff on it. I got it off the rifle and stock but I stripped off the finish to this stock. What do I use to refinish the stock back to military finish? Stain, clear coat or what? Need help with this one please. Thanks Spec.4
Don't fear the night, fear what hunt at night. ME!!

Comments

• Options
    lock stock and barrellock stock and barrel Member Posts: 88 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    try www.riflestocks.tripod.com
    "Unless the LORD guards the city, the watchman keeps awake in vain" Psalms 127:1
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Lock Stock and Barrel,Wrong address, do you have another address for them? Thanks for the replySpec.4
  • Options
    WIN-COLTWIN-COLT Member Posts: 60 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Spec4..................I refinish alot of gun stocks and I have tried many different products on the wood. If you want a clear satin finish then coat it with tru-oil several thin coats and lightly buff the finish inbetween coats with 0000 steel wool when you get it smooth then coat it again and buff it very lightly that will give you a satin finish, and if a beautifull gloss finish is desired then don't buff it the last time. Tru-oil is the ultimate ideal finish on all guns for wood protection and even polyurethane can't compare because of the labor intensive nature of achiving a smooth flawless finish. I hope that this helps..................WIN-COLT
  • Options
    Dragunov7.62x54RDragunov7.62x54R Member Posts: 35 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Use Linseed Oil, thats what was probably originally used.If you want to moderize, have a longer lasting finish, I'd stain or bleech the wood to get it the color you want, then clear-coat it.Everthing you need should be available at your local hardware store. Not only that, but so should all the advice you need. If I'm correct the stocks will be oak. Get some Oak (stainable) filling putty too, just to fill in those little nicks, and some sandpaper.I know, I've been there....
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for all the replies. I am trying to keep it close to the military configuration. Thanks once againSpec.4