In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

M1A question from a rookie

altosaltos Member Posts: 187 ✭✭✭
edited October 2001 in Ask the Experts
Ignorant question from a rookie: is there a significant difference in accuracy or reliability between a AA9126 Scout and an NA9102 National match... a difference "worth" $500 more ? I am a "new guy" and want a dead nuts reliable rifle that will work (and be accurate) whether used once a week or stored in a safe for 10 years and pulled out in case of emergency when only results count. A good friend (local cop) recommended the AA9126. He likes the shorter barrel. The NA9102 would appear... to have the potential for more accuracy. I only want to buy this once, do it right, move on. Is there a substantial difference that makes it worth $500 more ? My experience is limited to 1967-73, not the best of times, haven't handle a weapon since then but was better than average at the time.Thanks,

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    Dano, thank you. Stay safe... is a paramount concept. If there was not a significant premium between the National Match and the Super Match I would agree with you. As a grey beard, I don't know if I could ever take advantange of the accuracy difference between the two. I tend to prefer (as possibly hinted in the original message) the NA9102 over the AA9126. I do believe that if I came upon an SA9102 at an attractive price that I could be "convinced" it was a "good thing". Thanks for your reply. Appreciate the time.enjoy,
  • Options
    cpermdcpermd Member Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dano is smoking dope or works for SA.Get a rack grade and don't look back.Spend the other $$ on ammo and mags.When you can outshoot the gun,then think about upgrading.I have many M14 SA type guns and can only outshoot 2 of them.Course,I am old and disabled(officially now-I get my firsy DA check starting Mon)cpermd[This message has been edited by cpermd (edited 09-29-2001).]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The "best" is not SA factory guns.The best are worked over receivers with USGI parts and match prep.Polytech and Norinco are the best receivers available right now.cpermd[This message has been edited by cpermd (edited 09-29-2001).]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Ok, so "the best" could (obviously) be debated. Appreciate the replies. The base question, though: is there a meaningful difference in accuracy and/or quality between an AA9126 Scout and a NA9102 National Match for the average shooter ?Insights appreciated.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    OKRight now I have aBush RifleRack gradeNational MatchSuperMatchSmithArmsCorp2 PolytechsThe NM outshoots the SMThe rack grade is maybe 0.2 behind the NMThe Smith and Armscorp outshoot all of them and me.Will sell the SM for $1800 shippedStill want two more Polytech or Norinco receiver if anyone wants to sell one.cpermd
  • Options
    ED PED P Member Posts: 190 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In issue 15 of The Gun Buyer's Guide, 2001, they have a pretty good review of a couple different SA M1A's.The Scout they reviewed shot a 1.1" group at 100 yards, and Super Match shot a .9" group, with 2 bullets in pretty much the same hole.Reviewed rifles can sometimes be hand picked, or off the line from the factory, who knows.To me, a 1.1" group at 100 yards is making my shooting ability the major error contributor.The author of the review said he's had some Scout's outshoot the Standard.I've got a new Standard, which I'm happy with, it is bulky though. The Scout, though shorter, is still alot of rifle to handle too.
  • Options
    fxdwg98fxdwg98 Member Posts: 15 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have the NM. I have shot the Super's and couldn't tell the difference. My NM rocks, by the way. I can't imagine why there is a $500 delta.