In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Springfield V-12 jams

just-shootjust-shoot Member Posts: 233
edited October 2001 in Ask the Experts
The first time I took my new toy out and shot 100 rounds through it, I had trouble with the first round jaming as it entered the barrel and with the casings getting got in the slide as it was ejected. I gave it a good cleaning and good oiling. Took it out for the second time to run another 100 rounds, and to my dissappointment, its still catching the empties has it ejects them. I'm really bumbed out since I spent almost double the cost of most of my other autos. Is this something that will work its self out with a few more 100 rounds? I thought long and hard choosing this over a Para-Ord & Colt. Need the advice from you Springfield lovers. Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    twinstwins Member Posts: 647 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a V16 in 45/45 super. I was very disapponted at first with it also. I did not clean it ran right out to shoot it. Temp was about 15 above zero and with wind chill well below zero, 6 out of 13 rounds jammed, to cold to mess with it at the time. After a good cleaning I still had a few jams. I cleaned it again and now have had no jams what so ever. I was told that the spring from the factory was for 45, when I emailed the factory I was told I needed to change it to 45 because 45 super was what was in it. (It came with both). Since then I have had 100% reliability. unfortunately, I feel I cannot carry this since it jammed from the start. One a weapon fails to discharge, I lose faith in it no matter how reliable it has become. ( I still would not get rid of it). Once again, I thinkk all it needed was a good cleaning and a few rounds to loosen it up. I would recommend them to anyone.
  • Options
    Dragunov7.62x54RDragunov7.62x54R Member Posts: 35 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sounds like your extractor may need to be tuned up. Had to have it done to my colt when I first bought it. Gunsmith said it was common.
  • Options
    fxdwg98fxdwg98 Member Posts: 15 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had the same problem with my first barrel and then a 2nd barrel I put in. They both needed a few hundred rounds to get going, then no problem. Cleaning is big factor, though.
  • Options
    bigbossmanbigbossman Member Posts: 154 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you bought this piece from a reputable dealer, take it back to them and let themmake good on the warranty. If they can't fix it, they'll send it back to Springfield at their expense. Any gun shop worth dealing with does not want their customers being less than satisfied with the product. I know- I work part-time for a great shop that believes in customer satisfaction. Further, most gun makers are now offering transferrable lifetime warranties with their hardware. If the purcahse was made elsewhwere other than a shop, contact Springfield directly and make arrangements for them to repair their defect.Plan B: Get your investment back and go get yourself a Wilson or Kimber- they don't have these issues. You should not have to eat the cost of someone else's malfunctions; it just ain't right. Good Luck.
    Fight Crime- Shoot Back, and Better !!!
  • Options
    bigbossmanbigbossman Member Posts: 154 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you bought this piece from a reputable dealer, take it back to them and let themmake good on the warranty. If they can't fix it, they'll send it back to Springfield at their expense. Any gun shop worth dealing with does not want their customers being less than satisfied with the product. I know- I work part-time for a great shop that believes in customer satisfaction. Further, most gun makers are now offering transferrable lifetime warranties with their hardware. If the purcahse was made elsewhwere other than a shop, contact Springfield directly and make arrangements for them to repair their defect.Plan B: Get your investment back and go get yourself a Wilson or Kimber- they don't have these issues. You should not have to eat the cost of someone else's malfunctions; it just ain't right. Good Luck.
    Fight Crime- Shoot Back, and Better !!!
  • Options
    bsebastbsebast Member Posts: 190 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don't take it to a local gunsmith. Call Springfield. They stand behind their products 100%.
    Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. Ephesians 4:29 bsebast@airmail.net