In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

.308 load help, please

fxdwg98fxdwg98 Member Posts: 15 ✭✭
edited October 2001 in Ask the Experts
I have been reloading 308's for a while and I have a enw problem I can't solve.The primary gun for these loads is a SA M1A. Using approx 150 grain ball ammo and once fired brass (fired by me). Powders are standard and so are primers.I am getting a small dent in the primer but not a full hit and therefore no ignition. I checked the following:1) Used a different primer, nothing happened.2) Checked headspace with guage, OK.3) Changed to a different powder, nothing happened.4) Checked cartridge measurements, everything per spec.5) Tried new round of factory ammo, fired perfectly.What else to check for? Can't figure this one out!Thanks!
FXDWG98 has your back!

Comments

• Options
    oneshyoneshy Member Posts: 417
    edited November -1
    If you're using Mil Spec brass, the primer pocket has a ring around the outside rim designed for full auto ammo this ring is removable with a special reemer. I have reloaded mil spec without removing it by using extra force to seat the primer. You will feel a little crunch as the primer goes past it. Feel along the heel of the rd. over the primer of the ones you have already tried to fire and if you feel a hump, the primers are not fully seated. You should fell an indent. Take an empty case and try the extra force method. I'm not saying pound on it but use more force than you have been. Look closely at the rim of the primer pocket and you should see an indent area around the primer. If it looks like it's flat next to the primer, then the ring is there. If you have a magnifying glass you can see the crack around the outside of the ring. I have read that you can remove the ring by lightly drilling on top of the ring.[This message has been edited by oneshy (edited 10-02-2001).][This message has been edited by oneshy (edited 10-02-2001).][This message has been edited by oneshy (edited 10-02-2001).]
  • Options
    Ronald J. SnowRonald J. Snow Member Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sounds like you have set the shoulder of your cartridges back too far. Try readjusting your resizing die and chambering the cartridge prior to priming and charging. May not work, but is worth a try.
  • Options
    rg666rg666 Member Posts: 395 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It is also possible that you are seating the primer too deeply. On some rare occaisions I have sqeezed the crap out of my hand primer and done this. It had the exact same result as you had. Also in reference to improper shoulder seating. A good way to test this is to take a once fired case & put a bullet barely into the case neck. Then chamber the round "slowly" so it does'nt jam in the barrel. Do this a few times and take some measurements each time. You can determine what the overall round length maximum is. If you reduce the measured number slightly when you set up your reload press you should get the perfect spacing. Good Luck, RG.
  • Options
    oneshyoneshy Member Posts: 417
    edited November -1
    Ronald and rg666 2 good points. I think the resizing die may have backed off. Screw your die down to the shell holder with it in the full up position then back it off about a turn. Resize and prime it. Place it in the chamber. Cock and lock then pull the trigger if it fires you've solved the problem. Prime it ONLY. To check primer depth, back off the main body of your die then screw down the center post so the primer will punch out without the case being resized, then prime and test. This is assuming you are not using a neck die.[This message has been edited by oneshy (edited 10-05-2001).]