In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

help ,rookie trying to sight in a new scope

ty95ty95 Member Posts: 18 ✭✭
edited October 2001 in Ask the Experts
im trying to sight in a new scope and all i need to now is what does it mean that its 1/4" and 100 yds for each clike and when sighting it in and say u hit 5 inched high and 5inches to the right are u moving the cross hairs ,i had a shot 5 left and high and i adjusted 5 left and 5 down is that right or what am i doing wrong i couldnt hit the target agin after that and this was at 50 yds

Comments

• Options
    dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
    edited November -1
    Lets start with the 1'4" at 100 yds per click. If you are 5" off center, you need to dial 4 clicks per inch, or 20 clicks. If you're at 50 yards, you'll need to double the number of clicks. It would be 40 clicks for 5". Now for direction. If you are high and left, you need to dial down and right. If you've lost it off of the target, the best thing to do is bore sight it so you will be back on the paper. Most gunshops and ranges will do this for a few bucks. If you are going to do much scope setting, Wal Mart has a nice laser system for $50.00. Good Luck and let us know if you get it sighted in.
    Save, research, then buy the best.Join the NRA, NOW!Teach them young, teach them safe, teach them forever, but most of all, teach them to VOTE!
  • Options
    duckhunterduckhunter Member Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    1st START AT 25 FEET RATHER THAN 100 YARDS. IT IS MUCH EASER. ALL GOOD GUN BOOKS WILL TELL YOU WHERE TO PUT THE BULLET AT 25 FEET TO HIT YOUR TARGET AT 100 YARDS. AFTER YOU ARE READY AT 25 FEET THEN MOVE OUT TO 100 YARDS. VERY SIMPLE. TRY IT.[This message has been edited by duckhunter (edited 09-29-2001).]
  • Options
    bartobarto Member Posts: 4,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    dheffley-i think that you would divide by 2 @ 50 yds.rather than multiply by 2.my computer makes a funny-looking (at).
  • Options
    jay bluejay blue Member Posts: 21 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    That is what I do also-Start at 25 feet.Get a large piece of cardboard put a dot in the center shoot one round and start adjusting. I just finished adjusting two scopes that had been aligned in the shop and at 25 feet the initial adjustments to move the windage was between 30 and 50 clicks for both scopes.
  • Options
    dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
    edited November -1
    Barto,Nope, you'll have to trust me on this one. If it's set to 1/4" per click at 100 yards, that's 1/8" at 50, 1/16" at 25, and 1/2" at 200. Trig it out and you'll se I'm right.
    Save, research, then buy the best.Join the NRA, NOW!Teach them young, teach them safe, teach them forever, but most of all, teach them to VOTE!
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,951 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dheffley is correct. at fifty yards the clicks double; as he says at 50 yards you get 1/8" per click. Above posts suggest 25 yards and 25 feet. Use 25 yards for the first adjustment. You are then likely to still be on the paper at 100 yards. For most ammo you want to be about 2.5" high at 100 yards so you can hold right on out to about 150-175 yrds. Many books have ballistics tables to tell you that measurement for your cartridge, but this will put you in the ball park. NRA puts out a booklet on sighting in scopes, that you can likely pick up at a local gunshow book dealer.
  • Options
    ironsitesironsites Member Posts: 97 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don't forget to let the barrel cool down after a couple shots- a hot barrel may cause irratic groups at 100 yards.
  • Options
    TED GARTED GAR Member Posts: 389 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Firstly, all highpower rifles. Start at 35 yards, because if you are dead on at 35 you will be 2 inches high at 100 yards. that is what you want anyway for the 8 inch vital zone. You will dead on around 200 or 250. This excludes the 44 mag and 30-30. They will be dead on at about 125 or 150 yards. To make it easy on yourself get a bench. Fire dead center. Aim your scope deadcenter once again and carefully move the crosshairs to the hole. Then fire again you are done. Try it at 100 yards and see. Sidemounts will be about 2inches to the right.
  • Options
    bartobarto Member Posts: 4,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    you guys are right-i guess im just a divider-type person.
  • Options
    Shootist3006Shootist3006 Member Posts: 4,171
    edited November -1
    Ty, You don't mention what caliber so the following is for .30-06 using M2 ball ammo (150 gr @ 2800 fps).First, since you are off the paper, get the scope close enough to start. Do this by setting the target at about 8-10 yards, using sandbags or other solid rest, shoot at a small target on your 8 yard paper. Then hold on your point of aim (hold steady and don't move the rifle at all) and have a friend adjust the scope so that the crosshairs move from the aiming point to the bullet strike. You should now be boresighted. (You may have to repeat 2 or 3 times if you don't hold the rifle steady but this is a good one shot method for boresighting if you do it right.)Second, move your target out to 17 yards, adjust your scope so that the bullet strike is dead-on. This will give you a 200 yard zero. When adjusting the scope, move in 1 axis only; that is adjust verticle shot placement until you are happy with the result, then work on the horizontal. With a new scope and mount it pays to simplify the variables as much as possible.Alternately, find a friend with a bore-scope/collimator and boresight without firing a single round. You will still have to zero at whatever range you desire but at least you are starting from a known point.Good Luck
    Quod principi placuit legis habet vigorem.Semper Fidelis
  • Options
    D.S.COLED.S.COLE Member Posts: 611 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This is my method of sighting in a scope.First bore sight it.fire one shot from a bench at a target 25 yds away. If you dont know how to properly bench the rifle get someone to help you. Next measure how many inches the up down right or left the shot is off. At this distance and from the bench there shouldnt be any human error. next calculate the number of clicks each way neede to move it to the bullseye. Your scope should be marked on the adjusting dial how many clicks to the inch. at 25 yds you multiply the number needed by 4.Example , with quarter in. clicks 3 1n at 100 yds = 12 clicks but at 25 you need 4 X 12 or 48 clicks.Next very carefully count and click the adjustments.Now put the target at 100 yds, carefully shoot a 3 shot group. Using the center of the group as a measuring point click your adjustments whatever is needed to move it to the point of aim. You are then zeroed.Good luck ; DSC