In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Anyone checked out the S&W Scandium revolvers?

byron2112byron2112 Member Posts: 31 ✭✭
edited October 2001 in Ask the Experts
I know ,S&W are rats,but you guys just gotta check these things out.I looked at the J frame.This thing weighed 11 oz's.Just unbeleivable.Of course the salesman and I had a couple a laughs about the effects of shooting full power .357's outta this peice and I'm sure with much practice I might be able to hit a barnsized target with it,but ya gotta love the idea of a pistol that weighs about the same as a Seecamp and holds 5 rounds of .357 magnum.I've been looking for a lightwieght carry peice and this thing is real intreguing.Its very expensive for a revolver($515 and this shop has real fair prices)but thats about where all the quality auto's start out at ,and nothing is as light and powerfull.Besides it seems the more I learn about them ,that the smaller autos get the less inherantly reliable they are.What do ya think?

Comments

• Options
    JudgeColtJudgeColt Member Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I too love the idea of very light carry guns. The lighter the better. However, I suggest you try shooting a J-frame loaded with .357 loads before you decide one of these is for you. Board members may quesion my manhood, but, to me, the recoil of a .357 J-frame is worse than a .44 Magnum by far. (To me, .44 Magnum recoil is not nearly as sharp.) The alloy Magnum J-frames are the worst of the small .357 revolvers. These things hurt at both ends! As I have posted many times before, I like a Kel-Tec P11 for carry. The P11 is slimmer, but heavier than an alloy J-frame. Eleven rounds of hot 9x19 are a lot better than five rounds of .357 for me. I would guess a lot of the power of a .357 is lost in the short barrel of a J-frame as well.
  • Options
    ebeshirsebeshirs Member Posts: 382 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I pulled this off another board. I theought it would fit well here.
    Well, I promised a test report when I got around to firing the Scandium .357 a friend loaned me to test. The test was short and not so sweet.I let a friend shoot it, he lasted one round... another friend refused (he is the smart one) and me, not being so bright, I fired 2 rounds just to see if the second one really hurt as bad as I thought. This was with Winchester .357 Silver-tips.. which I find quite manageable in a Model 60 .357 (in fact they are very similar to my handload and push the 145 at about 1100 or a little over from the 2").The little critter was accurate enough but hit 6" high at 15 yards for both of us dumb enough to shoot it. It would probably be more at home with a 110 or a 125 but in my experience the Silver Tip is a bit more manageable than the 125s.It had a good bit more recoil that Federal 240 factory JHPs which clock over 1300 in my 3.5" round but .44 mag (it has a very tight cyl. gap). It is way beyond non controllable it is down right painful (though not extremely so).So, if you are into pain, you can have Reggie Jackson smack your hand with one of his home run drives or you can just buy one of these and shoot magnums in it....I really like J-frames but I will stick with the steel or aluminum ones.
  • Options
    gruntledgruntled Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Haven't tried the .357 mag just .38 special.Serious case of nuckle rap. Tried the lightweight Taurus & the porting works.
  • Options
    byron2112byron2112 Member Posts: 31 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for repliing fella's,maybe this is just a case of an idea looking better on paper than in reality.I kinda had an idea what would be said.I used to own(stolen damnit!)a Ruger sp101 that I really liked.It had a 2.25" barrel(S&W has a 1.7") and as you all know its a very beefy little gun that must weigh at least double that S&W.Anyhow ,that little sucker was a handfull in itself although practice and a Hogue mono grip helped me learn control and accuracy .I still think the Scandium is trick.......think I could get used to Reggie wailin on my hands? LOL!