In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Rifle that shoots in the .2"s

5db5db Member Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 2001 in Ask the Experts
If someone says they have a rifle that shoots in the .2's, does that mean every time, 2 out of 3 times, or 1 out of 10 or once in their whole life shooting that rifle?What is the standard?
If you have one shot...Accu-Shot Website

Comments

• Options
    4000fps4000fps Member Posts: 786 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hey I shoot in the 2's ALL the time now with my new accu-shot. Thanks
  • Options
    Dragunov7.62x54RDragunov7.62x54R Member Posts: 35 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Usually it means they are full of it....2" Better have a .17rem... I only know one guy who can do that, with a .22-250, and he spent alot of time doing so. Getting the perfect handload, with perfect seating depth. I think he even had his barrel cryo-treated.
  • Options
    ref44ref44 Member Posts: 251 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It is my OPINION by both experience and statistics that CONSISTENT sub-1" groups at 100 yards are impossible without the use of a scope above 4X. The intersection of the crosshairs at 4X subtends a 1" area on the target at 100 yards; so a hit at 3 o'clock and one at 9 o'clock are statistically-identical to each other, but 1" apart. If the 3rd shot is between 3 and 9, you have a 1" group. But the 3rd shot can just as well be 1" left of 9 or 1" right of 3. Thus, it is outside the capability of the shooter to repetitively shoot 1" groups.
  • Options
    Dancing BearDancing Bear Member Posts: 45
    edited November -1
    As a benchrest shooter I usually retire a barrel, if my 100 yard groups should open up to .2", or sell it to a varmint shooter. Any group that large would not be competative.DB
    The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Dancing Bear, I know very little about the Benchrest game, I know ever less about you. So I don't know if you are playing or serious. If playing, go ahead and have some fun, but if serious, please indulge me. How often out of say 10 groups should one shoot in the .2's to claim the rifle shoots in the .2's?And if you don't mind, what size groups do you shoot? Do you know what the record for an open class rifle at 100 yards, indoors is?
  • Options
    Dragunov7.62x54RDragunov7.62x54R Member Posts: 35 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    My buddy Lee, has this cheap little .22lr rifle, don't know what brand, but he got it for $25. He cleaned it up, fixed whatever was broken, and it shoots a one wholer at 25yds. Probably .2", if not much larger, turned out it had a barrel sleave put in it, and is way more accurate than any 22's I own. I might have all my .22's bored out and barrel sleaves put in.
  • Options
    ref44ref44 Member Posts: 251 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    All these ultra-small groups...please provide the scope power used. It certainly was not 4X.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    5db, to say a rifle shoots in the .2's it should do so consistantly, I would say every group fired under ideal conditions. Under ideal conditions my groups run in the .18's. When I said if my groups open to .2 I retire the barrel, I should have said if the barrel wouldn't shoot under .2 I would retire it. I say ideal conditions to clarify the fact that in most matches the winning groups usually run in the .2's. This is usually do to wind conditions and the time limit given to shoot your group. I do not know what the record indoor group at 100 yards is, but the IBS record is.0520 for 5 shots at 100 yards and .1190 for a 10 shot group at 100 yards.I am unaware of any 100 yard indoor ranges since the warehouse was closed, but since a back injury has left me unable to sit for any period of time I have not participated or followed benchrest shooting as much as I once did, so there may be others in use now. I still do go out and shoot a few groups now and then, but now primarily shoot trap, don't have to sit. ref44, I use 36X to 40X scopes, since a group is measured regardless or where it is on the target, most shooters adjust their scope so their shots do not hit their aiming point.For more info check out http://www.benchrest.com
    The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs.[This message has been edited by Dancing Bear (edited 10-03-2001).]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the clarification Dancing Bear and sorry to hear about your back. There is a indoor range close by, however it is built for profit having 5 or 6 lanes. The tunnel being about 5' high and maybe 20-25' wide, no way can one compare it to the "Warehouse".
  • Options
    edited November -1
    5db, are these "tunnels" a 100 yards long? If so where are they located, indoors I wouldn't have to wait for wind conditions.Thanks,DB
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Yes, it is a single tunnel reported to be 100 yards long, however I have never measured them. Found at the "Bullseye" range in Wichita, KS. No wind for sure but will find "currents" due to the exhaust fans. If you decide to make the trip, let me know.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks 5db, I am located in "Delawhere?" and don't think I'll be able to make the trip for a days shooting, but will keep it in mind, and am going to do a web search to see if I can find one closer, now that the idea is planted. Air currents caused by fans should be fairly constant and would not be perpendicular to the bullets flight in a tunnel.Thanks again,DB
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Fans are located in the roof of the tunnel. Good luck in your search!