In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

.410 Shotgun Slugs for Deer ?

s.guns.gun Member Posts: 3,245
edited October 2001 in Ask the Experts
Have any of you Hunters experienced Hunting with .410 Slugs.My Grandson wants to Hunt this year with his .410What might I compare the knockdown energywith.Could it compare to the .44 Mag.

Comments

• Options
    RembrandtRembrandt Member Posts: 4,486 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Most states the .410 is illegal.....too small.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Rembrant;I think it is still legal in this State of Ohio.
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,984 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Legal or not it is still to small for anything except very, very close range. Get a .243 or .30-30 for him.
  • Options
    KJACKKJACK Member Posts: 107 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    On paper, .410 slugs (1/5 or 1/4 ounce) generate about the same energy as some handgun hunter's favorites. That generally means close, careful shots (not always possible with an inexperienced hunter). The lead-only slugs limit flexibility (a handgun hunter can select a hard-cast lead or jacketed bullet for penetration). Also, Ohio deer can be large and may need a little more power for clean, humane kills. The .410 has too many negatives, in my opinion.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    He Dog.No rifles allowed in Ohio.
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,984 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sorry S. Gun, I forgot some states are like that. That does create a delemna, and I see why you are looking for a creative solution. I suppose most hunters use 12ga. which is likely a bit much for this young fellow, but he might handle a 20 or even 16 if auto to absorb much of the recoil. I am guessing you don't have either of those available. Hand guns large enough for the job are also likly to much to handle. Still, I would not use a .410; I am afraid I would encourage him to wait a year or two, and put some time into getting him really well prepared with something larger.
  • Options
    Shootist3006Shootist3006 Member Posts: 4,171
    edited November -1
    S Gun, I'm gonna take a contrary view, with the following assumption: that your grandson can put 5 out of 5 in a small (8") paper plate at 50 yards. That being the case, I think he could hunt with his .410 - if he limits his shots to 50 yards.The .410 slug of 1/2 oz. at 1225 fps is comparable to a .41 mag load. At reasonable ranges, it is adequate for deer. It does require good shot placement and you must hold the range down to 50 yards or less.I have used the same apx. load (210 gr. @ 1250 fps) for many deer in a .41 mag and it works just fine.Good luck!
    Quod principi placuit legis habet vigorem.Semper Fidelis
  • Options
    wiredogwiredog Member Posts: 116 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I killed my first deer in Mississippi with an old 870 wingmaster 12 guage, I had double 00 buck in the chamber and a slug in the mag. When the buck came under my stand I let him have it. I didn't need the slug. two pellets hit him in the heart and lungs and killed him graveyard dead. So my suggestion is to use or borrow a 12 ga and have 00 buck in the pipe and a slug in reserve in case you need it. I borrowed the 12 ga I used because i did not have any guns at the time. I was just a kid.
    I spent all my money on guns, women, and beer. The rest I just wasted.wiredog70@hotmail.com
  • Options
    leeblackmanleeblackman Member Posts: 5,303 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree with shootist3006.Its a great round for close range deer use, under 50yds. You might even think about getting some .410 buck shot instead of slugs. Would be great for your grandson, just check your local state regulations to see if its legal, if it is, have fun.Rembrandt-Name all the states its illegal in... I think your statement was false and unsupported, no offense. Just calling your cards.
  • Options
    leeblackmanleeblackman Member Posts: 5,303 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    .410 slugs are great for bush guns, they are really good for wild bore, considering all your shots are within about 25yds.
  • Options
    218Beekeep218Beekeep Member Posts: 3,033
    edited November -1
    I think the boy needs a 20 guage!!I have slug barrels for 1300 Win. 20 Guage!!
  • Options
    IconoclastIconoclast Member Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    s.gun - think a key here is the size & age of the youngster. I started w/ a 20ga @ age 12. My youngest boy was small for his age & so used a 28 for a year or two. I'm no fan of the .410 . . . but whatever he uses, it probably would be a good idea if Grampa was near at hand. In NH, young hunters are encouraged, but must be accompanied by an adult who's close enough to control the minor's actions. Great opportunity to share some quality time.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Iconoclast; ReplyYes, he will be closely supervised.10 yrs. old and small,and still afraid of the 20 Ga. Slug Recoil.