In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

"Check the headspace"

ndbillyndbilly Member Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 2003 in Ask the Experts
Without boring you with the details, I was advised to check the headspace on a rifle of mine. What exactly does that mean and is that a procedure I can perform with a specialty tool or is that a gunsmith only job?

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This site has the skinny on it. Have patience it's a slow loader.

http://www.rifleshootermag.com/gunsmithing/headspace_0612/
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks, rufe. Beyond my meager abilities.
  • Options
    redcedarsredcedars Member Posts: 919 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    billy, it really isn't that hard, you just need the gauges. What part of it concerns you? I'm sure we can walk you through it.

redcedars
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Taking the bolt apart, for one. I can see pieces going "sproing!" and me saying whadda****?
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,975 ******
    edited November -1
    WHAT KIND OF RIFLE?, MOST GUNSMITHS WILL DO THIS FOR A NOMINAL CHARGE IF THEY HAVE THE PROPER GUAGES.
  • Options
    redcedarsredcedars Member Posts: 919 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ndbilly, what rifle is it?

As mechanisms go, firearms are pretty simple. You will only need simple hand tools, and the gauges (which will cost a few bucks, but are handy if you are going to shoot the cartridge much).

You also don't mention why you were told to check the headspace, what are the circumstances?

Finally, Mike is quite correct that a good and fair gunsmith should charge only a very nominal fee to check for you.

redcedars
  • Options
    hughes1hughes1 Member Posts: 274 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Is a headspace guage good for any firearm in that guages caliber? ie, will a .308 guage work in all .308 rifles; bolt and simi-auto?
  • Options
    richbugrichbug Member Posts: 3,650
    edited November -1
    Yep, a .308 is a .308 gauge is a 308. the same works for .243 win and 7mm08 also. If you are working with a surplus military rifle you want a "field" gauge. This one tells you if the rifle has gone out of spec from use. As long as the bolt doesn't close on it you are OK.

My border collie is smarter than your honor student.
  • Options
    rhmc24rhmc24 Member Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here is what I did for a rough check of headspace on a Turk 98 Mauser I bought. Made two spacers from a soda can (Dr. Pepper) cut out with scissors disks approx size of head of cartridge. Soda can material checked about 4 1/2 thousandths thick. Put a little dab of grease on the face of the bolt and stuck one disk on and closed it over a chambered cartridge. OK, not too small headspace. Added the second disk and did the same check. Found it didn't want to close fully which indicated headspace wasn't too much. Tried same tests with several rounds due case lengths probably vary a little. At best this check lacked the precision of head space gauges but it did give a ballpark indication. Hope this helps.
  • Options
    king999king999 Member Posts: 450 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The "field " test offered by rsmp4 above is excellent! There are potentally three problems, all simple.
    1. Insuffecient HS; round will not chamber. No safety problem since you can't fire it! (An extremely unlikely occurrence)
    2. SLIGHTLY excessive HS: Cases will expand a more than we like. If reloading, be certain to NECK SIZE ONLY. If not reloading, forget it!
    3 HIGHLY excessive HS. You are likely to get misfires, hangfires, and possibly case separations. No fun, but nat particularly dangerous.

The accepted wisdom is that excess HS is terribly dangerous. Not so! It can give you some problems, but actually the condition mimics "FREEBORE" which is a way to reduce pressures.
    Morty
    Have fun, be careful!