In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

What handload fps is real and what is B.S.

Travis HallamTravis Hallam Member Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭✭
edited August 2003 in Ask the Experts
I have heard many people talk about how they handload over 4000 fps with 130-160 grain bullets. Needless to say I think they are full of it but what are realistic numbers for 300 ultra mags in a 150 gr hunting bullet? I know the factory loads are less than 3500 fps for 150 gr bullets. My Sako warbird does 3700 fps with a 150 lubed bullet with less than a .4 moa but can these handloaders actually top this and are they safe loads?

Thanks for any info and keep it real.

Mad Dog

Comments

• Options
    ryan_marineryan_marine Member Posts: 635
    edited November -1
    Yes but they are wearing out their barrels, brass and their shoulders. Also they are blowing out primers. I have seen a remington with a stuck bolt after it shot 4k fps. I still think that 3k fps is plenty for any hand load. Never go over max load and always check atleast 3 reloading manuals. Before going to their max check what 5 grains less does to the shell. Also use the manual that has the lowest max. It will save wear and tear on you gun.
    Ray
  • Options
    roysharoysha Member Posts: 749 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    One word... CHRONOGRAPH. If a specific load has not been chronographed from a specific firearm with the attendant info, such as temperature, barrel length, number of shots, etc. it is all conjecture. Period! Ergo, we can blow smoke in each others ears but when the bullet crosses the chrono the smoke disappears instantly. If you have a chronograph, challenge the fast shooter to bring it on over and time it. You will have your answer in short order.

BEER IS PROOF THAT GOD LOVES US AND WANTS US TO BE HAPPY!
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    everyone is wearing out a barrel,...some people just think that a little slower speed means they are not. Yes you can push them that fast,....I am getting 3200-3250 with a 200gr bullet from a 300RUM with a light load of RL25!!!! The barrel burning argument is soo worn out,..it's just funny any more. I shoot the 220 swift,...the 300rum, the 7mm mag,..etc etc,..and have yet to burn one till it wouldn't shoot. Most people,..unless they compete,..won't shoot their barrel out,..in 20-30yrs of hunting seasons.

4000fps is feasable from a 32-44" barrel on a bench gun with that bullet,..or even maybe a shorter one. They more than likely aren't accurtate and the throats will erode .010" in less than 300rnds,..but if that is what you want to see on the chronograph,..go for it.

where did your lazarroni velocity data come from,..chronograph or factory listed data? I am interested to know if that is what they claim or what you have seen on the screen,...no offense meant,..just a question from a handloader who hasn't shot a warbird yet.[;)]

why chase the game when the bullet can get em from here?....
    Got Balistics?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Hi Just C, The Lazzeroni info was both the Lazzeroni factory info and the gunsmith who loaded it. The load I had last year was for a different warbird and that shot the lost river 165 gr J36 bullet at 3580 fps so I am sure the current load on my 150 gr laserhead bullet could go faster but the guy stopped after hitting three shots in one hole (looked liked two bullets touching). It was not near max load either but why bother with that acuuracy. It is a standard 26" barrel and that was the same for the guys with the big number claims on their guns, no benchrest shooters around here, just prairie dog slayers.
    As for how it shoots, it pushes hard but does not stab on the recoil. It is LOUD but overall it is great which is why I bought this second one after selling the first.

Mad Dog
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    sounds like fun. I looked at those lazerroni calibers when building my current rig,..but the brass cost ran me off. I went with the 300RUM for the brass and reamer aspects. I wish there were more manufacturers making both the RUM and the lazeronni cases,..but remington brass will have to do for now.[;)]

why chase the game when the bullet can get em from here?....
    Got Balistics?
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,975 ******
    edited November -1
    WHAT ROYSHA SAID, NO CRONOGRAPH, ALL B.S.; AND YES 130 GN. .30 CAL.>4000 FPS IS POSSIBLE (NOT NECESSARILY SMART). I'VE GOT A .300 H&H IMP. THAT WILL PUT 165'S ACROSS THE SCREENS AT 3550 (26" BARREL, 95 GNS RL25). NO PROBLEM GETTING BRASS, JUST FIREFORM .300 WEATHERBY'S.
  • Options
    bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,868 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    what is the need for speed anyway? i would rather have a bullet that has been proven stable at high speeds and allow it to lob into its target without wearing out a gun, than a flat shooting zip bang poof gun shooting 4000fps any day. now i know my varmit hunters may contest that, but dont 220 swifts and 243's work fine already? why the gotta go faster? im curious...seriously. im not trying to start something....just educate me! thanks!

former air operations officer SEAL Delivery Vehicle Team 2. former navy skeet team, navy rifle/pistol team member. co-owner skeetmaster tubes inc.. owner/operator professional shooting instruction.
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
    Former NSSA All American
    Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
    MO, CT, VA.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    gentlemen, im trying to give a valid answer to the posters first question. but, unless i can get some insight as to why the reloaded bullet needs to go 4000fps, i cant direct the question to the people who can answer it for me precisley. they all live up here in connecticut in the heart of gun mfg. country. i know a lot of loaders, gun factory workers, and scientists that can achieve safe loading receipes and design barrels to take the punishment of bullets going 4000 fps. i just need to know the distance and reason the bullet needs to travel so fast. does this sound less offensive? im just trying to help. thanks for helping me help you.
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former NSSA All American
    MO, CT, VA.
  • Options
    cletus85cletus85 Member Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree with Roysha on this one, get a chronograph otherwise your in the dark as to exactly what a load is doing. I've had one for years and I used it whenever I work up a load. I recntly chronographed some muzzleloader loads and boy am I glad I did there was a significant difference between one sabot to another.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Hi Bobski, Not offensive at all, good question and easy answer. Because I am lazy and only shoot during hunting season. My backyard is the badlands of North Dakota and I have roughly 20 sqaure miles of my uncles land to hunt with nobody living there. 500 yard shots are fairly common but unreachable unless you pratice all the time. My friends were shooting at a huge Mule deer at that distance last year but could not reach him with their 25-06 and 270. Had I been where they were I would have reached him easy (I would have probably missed but I would have reached him) but I was 900 yards away and not about to waste my time. It is nice knowing you can get there even if it is overkill and unneeded. Later.

Mad Dog
  • Options
    edited November -1
    sounds like its time to move up to a bigger gun! man...my 308 shoots 1000 yds all day with loads at 2800-3200 fps!! it can hit a basketball all day @1000. (M-1A) ahhh, the dakotas...i got a friend living out there. said when he got out of the navy, he wanted to go where no one knew what a boat was! says he goes to work on a horse! you lucky guy! have fun loading!
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former NSSA All American
    MO, CT, VA.