In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

T/C Contender misfires

rrfhunterrrfhunter Member Posts: 187 ✭✭✭
edited August 2003 in Ask the Experts
I just got a contender and I'm having trouble with misfires in my 30/30 barrel. I also have a .222 barrel that fires fine but about 1/4 of the 30/30 rounds have a light firing pin strike and fail to ignite. I'm using CCI large Rifle primers. I'm definitely open to suggestions.....

....I never met a gun I didn't like!

Comments

• Options
    Ronald J. SnowRonald J. Snow Member Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    First question, have you tried factory ammo? If so, what were the results?
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    how deep did you seat those primers? .002-.003" below the case head is what I shoot for.

Did you work on the trigger?

why chase the game when the bullet can get em from here?....
    Got Balistics?
  • Options
    RhondaRhonda Member Posts: 183 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Check the 30-30 for high primers. May be using all the Contenders energy seating them. The Contender will also misfire if the barrel is not fully locked into position which can happen with high primers. You did not state if the gun/barrels are new. If you purchased them used you could possible have and early vintage barrel with a late model frame. This combination will not properly lock and fire and requires factory modification of the barrel to make it compatable. As Ronald suggests, try factory ammo and see what happens. Will immediately eliminate the gun/barrel as the problem.
  • Options
    rrfhunterrrfhunter Member Posts: 187 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hmmmmm,

Yes the gun is used. I haven't tried factory ammo but of course that makes sense. The frame does not have the safety on the hammer and it is a 10" bull barrel if that helps.

....I never met a gun I didn't like!
  • Options
    KJACKKJACK Member Posts: 107 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Barrel interchangeability is a blessing and a curse (always want more!).

Years ago, I had the same problem with a .223 barrel, even though the original .357 barrel worked fine. Sent the gun and barrels to New Hampshire and got a (no charge) repair to the lock-up mechanism. As I recall, there is a noticeable split in the newer style. The newer barrel was not fully locking up, therefore producing the light strike. The .223 barrel came back with an unobtrusive stamped X under it to indicate factory work.

Give the company a call- can't hurt.
  • Options
    RhondaRhonda Member Posts: 183 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Was somewhere in the 198,000 serial number range on the frame the barrel latch was changed. No way to tell easily on the barrel but since you have one that works and one that doesn't, lay them side by side and check the location of the pins on the side of the latch. If different, might be the problem. If the same, look at the ammo.