In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Military Rifle

RickRMRickRM Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
edited August 2003 in Ask the Experts
I recently traded for a military rifle and would like to know its worth. It is stamped with U.S. Rock Island Arsenal Model 1903, with the serial number 128597. It is chambered in 30-06.The gun is in very good condition, I would say it has less than average wear and tear. Any and all help will be appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    RickRMRickRM Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    What is currently the standard issue "sniper" rifle for the Army and Marine Corps, i believe its called the M24, im not sure but i thought i heard somewhere that its a remington 700??
  • Options
    wm69wm69 Member Posts: 236 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    need the condition of the rifle....
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Your rifle was made in 1907 according to my reference. These early production rifles, are collectors items ( Wall Hangers ), rather then shooters because of questionable metallurgy and heat treat practices.
  • Options
    trooperchintrooperchin Member Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What about lighter handloads?

d852d797.jpg

Go Army Beat Navy
    IF you wanna have fun join the cavalry
  • Options
    KdubKdub Member Posts: 713 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What RF said - don't shoot it, find a collector and let him retire it to a collection. You can buy a fine hunting rifle with the proceeds of the sale! At the recent gun show in my area, rifles like your's were marked in the $600 - $900 range.

Keep off the Ridgeline
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's your decision to make TC, your head is going to be directly behind that bolt, in that receiver that might have been heat-treated wrong, so it's virtually glass hard and extremely brittle.
  • Options
    p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    Are there any documented cases of low number Springfields hurting anyone? I have read accounts that early in the 20th century, one rifle was damaged but that the bolt held and that was the extent of the problem.

He That Pays The Piper Calls The Tune.
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Well, a few hundred rifles failed, and yes, people were hurt. Common thought has it that since all these rifles were used before, during, and after WW1, many during WW2, and many after by other nations, all the dangerous ones have been weeded out and they are "safe" to shoot with factory spec ammo... but who wants to take that chance? On the other hand, if you were to get your hands on a high number reciever and swap parts around (or that is, have a smith do it) everything should be just fine. Personally, I WOULD shoot it but then again, I shoot just about anything, even the questionable 6.5 Italian vetterli conversions... but I would stick to low power handloads. This isn't saying you SHOULD shoot it but that you PROBABLY could with no trouble.

Jon

"...hit your enemy in the belly, and kick him when he is down, and boil his prisoners in oil- if you take any- and torture his women and children. Then people will keep clear of you..." -Admiral of the Fleet Lord Fisher, speaking at the Hague Peace Conf
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    I am on borad with rufe-snow and say that these low numbered rifles should be collected and not fired. There were 137 accidents recorded for Model 1903 rifles and 68 were due to burst receivers. These resulted in 61 injuries (7 burst receivers were confirmed to have caused no injuries). 3 of these injuries were total loss of one eye, 3 other injuries described as SERIOUS, and another 3 as SEVERE. Rock Island receivers were expected to suffer one failure per each 11,896 receivers produced. RI receiver #108448 shattered causing a slight injury to the shooter in December, 1917. Your own rifle is about 20,000 away from that shattered receiver number and with one failure expected per 12,000 receivers...well, I think that you get the idea!

These low numbered receivers were not heat treated correctly and nothing can be done to them now in order to change this fact. Attempts were made by the military after WWI to reheat treat various low numbered receivers in an attempt to bring them up to specs and this was a failure since the actual make up of the metal varied so much. The cut off "SAFE" number for Rock Island is 285,507, when the new double heat treatment went into effect. I feel that the risks involved in shooting your rifle are simply too great when you can easily locate a "SAFE" numbered Model 1903 for simple shooting.

Mark T. Christian
  • Options
    warcrobwarcrob Member Posts: 358 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I too, recomend that you sell it to a collecter and use the money to by one of the Remington made 03's or an 03 a3. Smith Corona also made some 03a3's and they are fine rifles also.
    I agree with the other 5 posters on this this thread. Don't take chances and play it safe. There are plenty of safe shooting 03's out there. Go find yourself one, and good luck.

If you ain't got a sense of humor you got no business bein here!
  • Options
    Artic wolfArtic wolf Member Posts: 181 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The gun you traded for is very rare there are not many of the type around any more due to misscare. I would put a price of $725 that is about what its worth. But it is really a nice gun and would not secound think to shoot it, it is very safe to shoot.[;)]
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When wm69 asked for the condition of the rifle, I believe that he meant things like: original finish on metal parts?, original stock?, finish on wood?, cartouches?, bore condition?, holes drilled in receiver?, or any other alterations.

Depending on exact condition, value could drop as low as $50; I don't want to rain on your parade, just prepare you for the possibility that it may not bring enough to put your kids through college.

Neal