In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Range of 357 mag...

longhunterlonghunter Member Posts: 3,242
edited August 2003 in Ask the Experts
Now that I am getting the "hang" of this Smith....I am starting to wonder what kind of range ,effective range that is...This assuming a semi jacket SP of 158 gr.,open sights,a 6 inch barrel and that I actually do "My"part.

Comments

• Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,975 ******
    edited November -1
    .357 MAG CARTIDGE <100 YRDS, YOU ?. REALISTICLY ANY RANGE YOU CAN RELIABLY HIT A 1 GAL. JUG AT.
  • Options
    bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,868 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    357 is a standard round used in metallic siloettes(sp?) and can knock down ram targets at 100 yds all day. that ram is only 12" across if i remember right.
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
    Former NSSA All American
    Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
    MO, CT, VA.
  • Options
    kingjoeykingjoey Member Posts: 8,636
    edited November -1
    Depending on the load, the 357 maintains pretty good energy and accuracy inside 200yds, it is at its best inside 100yds, and will still take your head off at a mile. Use it inside 100yds and you'll be very happy.

Love them Beavers
    orst-title-1.gif

SUPPORT THE I.N.S. , THE COUNTRY THEY SAVE COULD BE YOUR OWN
  • Options
    BoomerangBoomerang Member Posts: 4,513
    edited November -1
    Hunting = 50 yds. max
    Plinking/targets = What ever distance you can hit.

Boomer

"Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as it is by the obstacles which one has overcome while trying to succeed."NRA Life Member
  • Options
    gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    All the members of the Volcano Ramslammers that use the .357Mag. for silhouettes are shooting in the Big Bore category, are routinely toppling the rams at 225 yards, can shoot the BPCR targets at 500 yards, are only using barrels of 10" or less, and take heaps of offense at the limitations placed on their round by those who would deny that it can be an effective means of dispatching steel targets at ranges under 500yds.
    Most of those rounds are handloads, use 158+gr. bullets, and some rarely exceed 1200fps!
    Granted, these folks DO shoot a lot of ammo every weekend at matches and know their gun/ammo combinations intimately.
    Not sure what mike was shooting, but I'll bet it was a .380....

If you know it all; you must have been listening.WEAR EAR PROTECTION!
  • Options
    bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,694 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No offense gunnut505, but steel targets don't limp away wounded... We owe more respect to the the game we hunt than to take "iffy" shots. More than the distance, it is the amount of energy it retains when it gets there.
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • Options
    mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i can hit 12 inch steel plates at 75 yds consistantly (ransom/bench rest) with my DAN WESSON MODEL 15-2VH6 .357 magnum revolver.

with my rolling block carbine i can hit sillouettes at 150 yds with the sights adjusted up. they group well (10 rds in 6") at that distance.

i would imagine that under 150 yds, if you can hit it, you will kill it. from the ballistic tables, heavier bullets still look to have enough energy at that range to do the job. best regards, mike.

What other dungeon is so dark as ones own heart, what jailer so inexorable as ones own mind.
  • Options
    BoomerangBoomerang Member Posts: 4,513
    edited November -1
    quote:I am starting to wonder what kind of range ,effective range that is...This assuming a semi jacket SP of 158 gr.,open sights,a 6 inch barrel and that I actually do "My"part.I suspect you are wanting effective ranges in real world hunting scenarios using iron sights, not target shooting with ransom rests. At fifty yards the 158 grain buddit will have only about 400 ft lbs of energy. To me this is minimal energy for game animals. I agree with bambihunter, clean kills are much more humane than taking pot shots and wounding animals.[V]
    Excuse my sarcasm, but at 500 yards with iron sights out of a 6 inch barrel on a game animal, what is your hold over 150 feet? bwaaahaahaahaa!!! Heck, lets not forget Kentucky windage?[;)][:o)] Oh yeah, I forgot, the animal you are hunting better be deaf and very frail, because the report will get there long before the buddit will, and will have less than 70 ft. lbs. of energy left! [:o)]

Boomer

"Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as it is by the obstacles which one has overcome while trying to succeed."

NRA Life Member
  • Options
    longhunterlonghunter Member Posts: 3,242
    edited November -1
    Thanks all,and boomrang,yup,I was looking for effective range as in the gun is in my hand,no extras...Appreciate the answers from all,it was educational......L.H.