In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Problems with Burris Fullfield 3X9

dannejdannej Member Posts: 478 ✭✭✭
edited August 2004 in Ask the Experts
I bought one of the scope/spotting scope deals from Burris which included a Fullfield scope and a small spotting scope that was junk. The Fullfield has failed twice. The first time was after about 50 rounds of .308 at the range when something came loose inside and the reticle broke. I sent it in and it was repaired and returned. Now it will not hold zero and I sent it in again.

Has anyone else had similar problems?

Comments

• Options
    MooseyardMooseyard Member Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have bought a couple of these packages, and have had zero problems. What don't you like about the spotting scope? I'll admit that it is not a Swarofski (sp), but for the money you can't go wrong. I have a large spotting scope, and it was always a PITA to drag it to the range, but that little Burris is great. I'm confident that Burris will take care of concerns, I have had nothing but good luck with my scopes, and I've heard good things about their service.

Jess Hoffman
    Mooseyard Precision
    LE Supply & Firearms
    NRA Certified Instructor
    Shawano, WI 54166
  • Options
    ern98ern98 Member Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I bought one of the scope + spotter packages and have had no problems with the scope and even better I had no problems putting the spotter up on the auction site and getting $40 + shipping for it. I think that the new Fullfield II at $160 is the best scope deal going these days........
  • Options
    CS8161CS8161 Member Posts: 13,595 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    who mounted the scope originally? The spotting scopes are not junk, they are a decent, COMPACT, little spotter that is great for hiking.
    Burris has a great warranty and they will either repair or replace if the scope is defective.
    Was it mounted correctly to begin with?

Chris8161
    Admit nothing, deny everything, demand proof!
  • Options
    hornethornet Member Posts: 262 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    All most all my rifles have Burris scopes on them of one type or another. I did have an older Burris 3x9x50mm scope fog up on me and I sent it back to Burris to repair. A few days latter I received a phone call from Burris telling me that the scope I sent in was no longer in production. The Burris Rep told me since this was the case they would not be repairing my scope because they were sending me the new model scope that was now in production. This Burris scope was 8 years old at that time.
    Burris makes great scopes and they stand behind there products. If you have a problem with there scope I have no doubt they will repar or replace it until you are happy with there product. And I had the Burris scope I returned on a 300 Win Mag shooting max loads. It produced quite a bit of recoil.

Hornet
  • Options
    dannejdannej Member Posts: 478 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thank you for the responses! Mooseyard, I have a Leupold compact 20X spotting scope I have had for years and compared to it the Burris was hard to focus, had narrow field of view and just wasn't as clear.

Chris8161 I mounted the scope first on a Browning .308 and shot 1 1/2 inch groups at 100 yards. Shot about 50 rounds that day comparing ammo. Next trip to range I went to 22 yards and the groups with the same ammo were all over the place with 12 inch groups. I had heard that some rifles will shoot good at 100 and bad at longer ranges, but didn't believe it. I assumed this was the case with this rifle and sold it. I put the scope on a Robinson M96 and it shot about six inch groups at 50 yards with five kinds of ammo. I then put a Leupold 21/2X scope on the M96 and it shot sub inch groups at 50 yards and two inch groups at 100 with iron sights only.

As to service, the first failure was handled quickly. This time they have had the scope 12 days so far. Even when it gets back would any of you use a scope that failed twice for a hunting rifle? I won't so I intend to test their customer service. They can keep the scope and give me credit on one of their good scopes. I have two that work perfectly, one mounted on an M1A barrel which gets the scope very hot and it keeps on working.