In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

22LR 4" barrel Colt Trooper s/n question

vipereatervipereater Member Posts: 90
edited December 2004 in Ask the Experts
The Troopers I've seen have serial numbers in the range of 66500 and 69500. The s/n's for Troopers are six digits. Was the combination (22LR with 4" barrel) built from the Officers Model production? That would place them around 1955 production. Were any other combinations other than 22LR with 4" barrel built from the Officers Model production? I have 2 Troopers both with 22LR with 4" barrel configurations. Serial numbers 687xx and 707xx. Is the first one a 1954 and the second a 1955 production?

Note the gun shown in the "book of colt firearms" page 399. Serial number 69640 was built in 1955.

Thanks a bunch,

Kevin

Comments

• Options
    JudgeColtJudgeColt Member Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Trooper serial numbers are some of the most confusing of all Colts. I believe you will find that the .22 Troopers are numbered with the .22 Officers Models, but I am not entirely sure. See Page 354 of "The Book of Colt Firearms." I believe the Troopers you mention are 1954-1955 vintage, but see the picture and comment on Page 399. Some are way out of phase. A letter would be needed to be sure, and that will only tell you the shipping date, not the date of manufacture. There is the old story that a particular gun box may somehow keeping getting new production stacked on top of it, so it is never reached until years out of phase. Could even be true.