In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

7mm mauser ammo

andy12390andy12390 Member Posts: 486 ✭✭✭
edited December 2004 in Ask the Experts
Does anyone know if 7MM Mauser and 7X57 ammo is the same ? Thanks [8D]

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    hi, i want to go varmint hunting with my mauser model 98. its sporterized and has a fluted barrel. the action is very strong and im tld that i can put custom hot loads in it...but i dont know what kind. im looking for suggestions on weight of bullet, how much powder, and brands of those. right now i cant shoot anything better than one and a half inch groups at 100 yards. im using federal 140 grain ammo (expensive stuff). it has a timney trigger set very low (im not jerkin the shots) and has a fluted barrel with tight rifling. there isnt any headspace on the emptys. i was shooting the same groups with the federal 175 grain bullets too.

thanks

one shot, one kill
  • Options
    edited November -1
    What is the current price for 7mm ammo, FN 52 headstamp? Brass cased, 100 rounds per box. Box marked with Fabrique Nationale.
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,818 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No suggestions about reloads from me but the hornady 139 sst light mags are the hottest factory loads I've seen. They'll work on anything up to deer.

Mobuck
  • Options
    ern98ern98 Member Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you have already tried a variety of different makes and weight of ammo in it, m check list for what you describe would be to:
    1. Clean the bore down to the steel removing all copper fouling not just the powder residue.
    2. Check the muzzel crown, has it been dinged.
    3. Check that the scope is mounted square to the action and barrel.
    4. Check that the scope mounts are true.
    5. Change out the scope for another quality scope and see if it shoots the same pattern with a different scope. It should if it is the rifle. If the pattern changes it is probably the scope.

A quality barrel, well put together should shoot better then 1.5" @ 100yds with some ammo or other. So I'd be looking to find a minor problem or other. If your not holding an 1" or better you'd best be going after large varmints, close up.

As far as varmint ammo, find a reloader who does custom reloading for folks, often found thru the local range or such.
  • Options
    A J ChristA J Christ Member Posts: 7,534
    edited November -1
    7 X 57 is an ecellent round and has been in use for well over 100 years. Has it ever shot well? Is the action bedded correctly? Is there any tension on the barrel?With is the rate of twist on your barrel? Fast for heavy bullets and slower for the lighter ones. Clean barrel, get all the copper out. Is is headspaced right? If everything checks out and you can't find anything wrong, have a gunsmith cut 1/2" off the barrel and re crown it. That'll change the barrel harmonics and correct a damaged crown, which may be damaged and it can't be seen. Have someone else shoot it and see what they can do with it. That 7 X 57 has been used to take any of the animals that walk the planet, including elephant so you aren't shooting a mouse gun there. It should be more accurate than 1 1/2" at 100, half of that is what I'd like to see. I have a FN49 that shoots the 7 X 57 very well and a M98 Mauser that does good also. My problem with that cartridge is when I reload, can't get either rifle to group as well with reloads as with factory, haven't worked on that problem much yet as I got my hands on a good pile of surplus that shots good.
    All in all, think it woould be worth the effort to get the rifle to shoot better.
  • Options
    mauser_centralmauser_central Member Posts: 733 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    everyone above has givin great advice, 1 small thing....check the action screws make sure they are tight, ive saw this cause mausers to shoot diffrent on every shot.

"When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are safe
    ~ Jesus Christ [Luke 11:21.6]

Mauser Central

GunParts & Supplies @ Wholesale

MidwayUSA
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Everyone above has given great advice. I would check all the things they've said that don't require a gunsmith yetm and a couple more things:
    First, if you have an AO type scope make sure the parallax is adjusted for the range you are shooting at. To do this bag the rifle solidly on the bench. Put your eye behind the reticle and see if the crosshairs move on the target. Adjust the eyepiece in or out until they no longer move. For extreme accuracy you will need to do this each time you change range. It shouldn't be much once out to 200 yds. For more in-depth instruction on this you might try looking into shooting books. My choice was a book by Glen Newick "The Ultimate in Rifle Accuracy".
    Second, for varmints you might try 100-120 gr. bullets. However, this is where twist rates really come into play. If you have a 1-10 or faster twist the rifle will like heavy bullets. If you have a 1-11/12 the rifle will take medium lighter bullets better. A suggestion here if you have a tight twist and want to use light bullets, download them a little. That will keep the bullet from over-rotation at long ranges. Over-rotation won't matter out to about 300 yds. though, if that is all you are going to shoot. If you have the 1-11 or 1-12 twist and want to shoot heavy bullets carefully work up to max to get the rotation up so the bullet will stabilize. If they won't stabilize go the next bullet weight down. and start again.
    Beyond these two ideas I would then take it to a gunsmith to get it checked out. Most will do it for a reasonable price.
    The 7mm Mauser (7X57) is a great round capable of incredible accuracy. It was used against us in Cuba during the Spanish-American war, where they engaged us and started killing us at 2000m. And, as mention above, it has taken every species of game on earth, including elephant (Karamojo Bell). Although, I would prefer a bigger 'pumpkin slinger' in a head on collision with a cape buffalo. I own and reload for two different configurations of 7mm Mauser and I love it. Good luck with your quest for accuracy

We have the second amendment so that all the rest are secure....UNK>
  • Options
    wap41wap41 Member Posts: 43 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Make sure the barrel is free floating so a dollar bill will slip between the barrel and the stock.Also you might try reloads with a slower burning powder like 4350 or 4831,sometimes the rate of burn of powder can make a big difference.