In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

c&r license

western hunterwestern hunter Member Posts: 22 ✭✭
edited December 2004 in Ask the Experts
Once you apply for a C&R license, how long does it take to get one.

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    I am trying to get my C&R license updated to my new address. The form the ATF sent to amend my license is the same one for a regular FFL. What do I do about all of the questions about zoning ordinances and "business to be conducted"? It also has places for signatures under these questions. None of this is relevant for a type 03 Collector of Curio and Relic license. What am I supposed to do? If I answer yes or no to these questions it appears as if I am "engaging in business" as the ATF defines it. Someone please help before I just rip up the forms and say to heck with it.

Better to have and not need, than need and not have.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have a C&R License from the ATF and I find it so hard sometimes to get an FFL dealer to give me the time of day[V]. Twice now I've located Beretta 418 pistols for sale. Both were manufactured more than 50 years ago and even though not listed by name, fall under the ATF description of any firearm manufactured 50 years before this current date are C&R qualified, yet the sellers treat my C&R License as if it's the kiss of death[xx(]. I just don't understand it, isn't my American dollars just as good as the next guys[?] I sure don't want to get them or myself into trouble with the ATF, but after reading the do's and don'ts of owning a C&R License, I know I'm right on this one[:D]. Now if I can just get the Dealers to recognize this[;)].
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Anyone know how long it takes to get a c&r license?

Larry
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Nothing major here...just thought I'd let folks that are considering getting a C&R license know that it's well worth the little bit of effort required. I filled out the two copies (quick & easy), mailed one to the Sherriff's Office and the other to the BATF on 10/6, with check for $30.00. The license came today (11/4). I am amazed at how quickly it got here. I had heard that you get sick of waiting, and about to the point of giving up before it comes. Not at all- they say four to six weeks, and they ain't lying!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Many of the firearms available on gunbroker.com meet the 'curio and relic' status and can be purchased by someone with the 'curio and relic license', and be shipped directly to that person, rather than going through an FFL dealer.

Is getting a C&R license worth the effort? It costs $30 for 3 years, (and I've had to pay a local FFL holder $25 for just 1 gun). That obviously tells me that it is a good investment money wise, but are there possible problems that I'd be setting myself up for? Are there paperwork hassles, bureaucratic bothers, or other harrassments that go along with it, or is it relatively painless to have and use the C&R license?

Current C&R holders please reply. I welcome your stories, good and bad, and any other input.

Thanks,
    Rareblair

IF IT AIN'T DONE RIGHT, IT AIN'T DONE YET!!!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    How do you get a C&R license(permit?)
  • Options
    edited November -1
    As marsye [4/8/02 11:51 am], I too applied for a C&R license. I mailed and included check. Anyone have an idea timing on the part of the BAFT? Do they sit on the application for weeks or cash the check and issue the license?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    how do i get a c&r license
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I am thinking about getting a c&r lincense,what guns and how old fall under this lincense?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Does anyone have one of these licenses, and if so - can you save money when buying ammo, reloading materials, etc from the internet dealers. Is this a good option?

Rickster
  • Options
    edited November -1
    can an individual ship an action from a 97 winchester to a person with a c&r license?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Please correct me if I'm wrong. The C&R firearms license is for personal collections and CANNOT be used like an FFL. I was thinking of getting one because I'm tired of paying the $25/$30 dollars every time I get a firearm. Please help me understand the pros and cons.. THANKS so much... Mike
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Are the c&r license worth the cost and time to get if one just buys or trades a old gun 4-5 times a year? Also how often do you have to renew them? Thanks
  • Options
    duckhunterduckhunter Member Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    check the past posts. This question gets ask about every week.

I WOULD RATHER BE DUCK HUNTING.
  • Options
    22WRF22WRF Member Posts: 3,385
    edited November -1
    This should be a sticky here

Request C&R application form 5310.16 7CR here:
    http://www.atf.gov/dcof/index.htm

Download Alien Compliance form 5330.20 here: http://www.atf.gov/forms/pdfs/f533020.pdf

View Q&A about C&R licenses here: http://www.atf.gov/firearms/curios/faq.htm

View C&R regulations here: http://www.atf.gov/firearms/curios/intro.htm

newyr2.gif

body.jpgsw.jpg
  • Options
    fundaddyfundaddy Member Posts: 151 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    By the way, you think you'll save alot of money by not paying transfer fees
    >> WRONG !!

When those rifles start showing up right at your door, it's soooo easy to order more [8D]
    Believe me, my wife will attest to the fact that this is not a money saving feature [:X]-->[:(!]

What other nation is so great as to have their gods near them the way the LORD our God is near us whenever we pray to him? Deut 4:7