In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Cases too long?

39ford39ford Member Posts: 93 ✭✭
edited December 2004 in Ask the Experts
I received a few 30-06 cases from my father-in-law and it looks like they are too long for the chamber.There is what looks like the imprint of rifling groves on the last .30 of the case and the imprints are aprox. .180 wide. Is this too long? The cases are in the lenght of max that speer sets.These are once fired cases btw and are shot from a custom gun.Thanks for the help

Comments

• Options
    JudgeRoyBeanJudgeRoyBean Member Posts: 282 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Trim to Length of a 30-06 springfield is 2.484 inches with a maximum length of 2.494 inches. Measure them and see for yourself if they're too long. My calipers are too short to measure from here so its up to you.......LOL!

Oh, and the marks you're seeing could possibly be "crimp marks" from the prior loadings....... Measure them!

Henry Ford stated: "There is no one more useless than a Convict, except perhaps, those that guard them. This was his reason NOT to hire either one of them!
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    3/10" is a lot. A chamber cast might be in order. Since it is a custom rifle, it's possible the chamber is unfinished or screwed up although it'd be a hard job forcing a cartridge neck that far into the rifling during chambering.
  • Options
    1KYDSTR1KYDSTR Member Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Could these cases have been fired in a miltary surplus semi-auto? Lots of times to ease extraction, the manufacturers will flute the chamber. This involves machining longitudinal grooves into the chamber so that the fired case has less chamber wall to stick to. Just a thought.

"When I cease learning...I'm dead"(Me)
    "When I was 14 I used to marvel at how ignorant my old man was...by the time I was 21 I was truelly amazed at how much the old bugger had learned in the intervening 7 years!" Samuel Clemens
    "History is written by winners"(Patton)
    "You get a lot farther with a kind word and a gun than you do with a kind word alone!"(Al Capone)
    "There is nothing lower than the human race...except the French" (Samuel Clemens)
  • Options
    roysharoysha Member Posts: 749 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Are you sure you mean .30 and not .030? I'm inclined to think maybe, if it is indeed .030, what you are describing is actually a factory crimp. If you are actually as long as 300/1000ths too long, I don't see how you could even close the bolt on an empty case, much less a loaded round.
  • Options
    39ford39ford Member Posts: 93 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sorry about the confution[:o)] it is infact.030'' long at the end these are once fired winchester factory cases .As someone mentioned they might be crimping grooves and that is quite possible.It just looks kinda long and dangerous to me.I measured them and they are within max length. Thanks again[:)]
  • Options
    JudgeRoyBeanJudgeRoyBean Member Posts: 282 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just got through reloading 250 Winchester Brass that was once fired from new factory ammo. The marks you describe are what remains of the original factory crimp. I trimmed my brass to 2.484 inches so I could use them with Winchester 147 grain FMJ bullets and get a consistent and good crimp. These turned out extremely nice after completed. I think you will find those you have probably would also. Trim and Size a few and see what you have.....you might really like them.

Henry Ford stated: "There is no one more useless than a Convict, except perhaps, those that guard them. This was his reason NOT to hire either one of them!