In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Convert Rem. 870 to 3"

JayJay Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
edited December 2004 in Ask the Experts
I have a Remington 870 2 3/4" 12 gauge that I would like to have converted to 3". What all is involved in the conversion? And will it safely handle 3" magnum shells?

Comments

• Options
    haroldchrismeyerharoldchrismeyer Member Posts: 2,213
    edited November -1
    The only way I know of to convert one to 3 inch from 2 3/4 is to trade your old one in on a new one that takes 3 inch shells. Internal differences in the receiver make it possible to use the short shells in the 3 inch capable gun, but not the other way around. Kind of like you can use 38 special in a 357 mag, but you can't go the other way even if you can make it fit.
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,976 ******
    edited November -1
    the only difference is the depth of the chamber. you can have your barrel rechambered to 3" or just buy a new 3" barrel. remington used to do this (they still may). all the internal parts are the same.
  • Options
    Weeks ManWeeks Man Member Posts: 67 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have looked into buying new barrels for Remington shotguns before in the past and they aren't cheap. For the money you will spend on the barrel, you could probably trade your 870, put that money with it and get yourself and brand new 870 that would take a 3" shell (possibly even get one that would take a 3 1/2"). Just my 2 cents.
  • Options
    ALFONSEALFONSE Member Posts: 203 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    You need to ream the chamber to 3"-might as well use a long forcing cone reamer-also move the ejector back for the 3" length. Works slick after that. Alfonse.
    Visit our web store for new, used, and reproduction gun parts: https://gungaragestore.com/
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,976 ******
    edited November -1
    alfonse; you can not move the ejector on a 870. it is reveted to the side of the receiver, besides all 12 ga. ejectors are the same (2 3/4" & 3").
  • Options
    GeriGeri Member Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have changed several. You need the 3" ejector parts. The riviting punches, and a 3" chamber reamer, also a forceing cone reamer. I also use a polishing burr on chamber and cone. Hope this helps.
  • Options
    mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    Just a warning is all.....
    The 2 3/4 inch receivers are not meant to take the pounding of the 3" shells.
    I know its done from time to time but it's not meant to be...
    The receiver's opening will barely toss a 3" empty out, with out hanging up a little...
    Be safe and buy a 3" gun if you need one. Or load your 2 3/4 shells a little hotter than they are..
    Just my thoughts is all.......

Gun control is hitting what your aiming at.
  • Options
    JayJay Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the response.
  • Options
    ALFONSEALFONSE Member Posts: 203 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have done this conversion for duck and goose hunters without a hitch. The receivers are the same metal and heat treat. The ejectors are not the same. There is a 2 3/4" and 3" assembly. You can do the ejector conversion without drilling out the rivits, if you are careful. Grind the ejector channel back 1/4" and drill out the spring for a 2x 64 screw. Attach the spring and grind the screw head for clearance. Another, but a bit more complicated way is to use a Mossberg ejector. Grind out the rivit heads from the inside to remove the Remington assembly and machine a spot for the shape of the Mossberg,drill for the screw and grind the head for clearance.Minor reshaping of the actual hook is required. I have done this for police depts. that want a quick change part.
    Visit our web store for new, used, and reproduction gun parts: https://gungaragestore.com/