In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Aguila short shotshells any good?

skullgrinderskullgrinder Member Posts: 56 ✭✭
edited December 2004 in Ask the Experts
Are the Aguila short shotshells any good? Pro's and Con's?

Comments

• Der GebirgsjagerDer Gebirgsjager Member Posts: 1,673 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Kind of a vague question, amigo. Good--for what? Because of their length they won't feed through many actions. No problem with a single shot, side by side, or Over/Under. Not as powerful as a standard shell, nor do they hold as much shot. Great for shooting your neighbor's cat; no good for ducks at 35 yards. Very low recoil. I guess everything has it's purpose, but you'll have to decide if they fit your's.
  • ker2222ker2222 Member Posts: 188 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    wouldn't cycle through either of the remington pumps we tried.

Marketed as "entry ammo" since you should be able to get more rounds into tube which is true...but we could only fire one...
  • yekimakyekimak Member Posts: 257 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    www.aguilaammo.com ? has info on them and says they function well in winchester pumps., they go through my defender fine as long as I do not short stroke the thing. fun factor and ease on the shoulder, especially in the NEF/h&r single shots are the main reasons to get them.
  • HKmanHKman Member Posts: 291 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    skullgrinder,
    Listen to these guys, its true the best use I have found for them is that they don't take up alot of space in a pocket or ammo pouch.

!!!BUT THEY WILL NOT CYCLE THROUGH AN AUTO OR PUMP!!! sorry![:(]

"There are those who make things happen, those that watch things happen and those that say, what happend?"

AC Tactical
  • prairiedoghunterprairiedoghunter Member Posts: 56 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    skullgrinder,
    I've shot them through my Mossberg 500 and experienced the occational jam. Agulia gives info on how to modify your gun to improve function.

PDH
  • skullgrinderskullgrinder Member Posts: 56 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sorry for the vagueness of the post. I was really wondering whether or not they were worth the difference in price. If they won't cycle through most pumps, then using them is a pretty moot point. Most of the rounds that I have seen have a buck or ball load. In a home defense situation, I was looking for a good load with limited penetration, but bad-guy perferation. Having more of something that won't work is no solution, but a bigger problem. I'm thinking that a lighter recoiling shotshell would be more beneficial for the uses that I would have. Thanks for your information.
  • agman1999agman1999 Member Posts: 981 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Regarding overpenetration, I saw a really interesting experiment on here yesterday. http://tenninetyseven.homestead.com/OldPainless.html

What I took away from this is that EVERYTHING overpenetrates. Sheetrock just isn't as tough as skin and bone to penetrate, so any stray pellets are, at a minimum, going into the next room.