In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Best defense ammo for a 4" 9mm

skullgrinderskullgrinder Member Posts: 56 ✭✭
edited December 2004 in Ask the Experts
I have heard that the rule of thumb is that a lighter load is more appropriate for a shorter barrel. What would be the best manufactured 9mm (9x19)rounds that you would, or do, use?

Comments

• Options
    Vortech347Vortech347 Member Posts: 79 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am personally fond of Corbon. Can't say how good it does in a shootout. Thank God I've never needed to use a gun for protection. But I have shot Corbon in 9mm and .40 and it was very accurate in my handguns.

I wouldn't hesitate to use it in any caliber or gun.
  • Options
    gap1916gap1916 Member Posts: 4,977
    edited November -1
    Use what ever the local police use. My 2 cents [8D]

Greg
    Former Marine
    A N G L I C O
  • Options
    shaneshane Member Posts: 882 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That is a deeeeep subject!

I say the best ammo for any gun is the one you shoot the smallest groups with.

Buy several boxes of different ammo that you can afford and go shooting.[:)]

Sir Shane of the~Secret Select Society of Sauve Stylish Smoking Jackets~ <P>
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I second the Corbon.

Their hollowpoint 9mm +P ammo in 115 grain is HOT.

The stuff is very expensive, but with that round you are putting out near the muzzle energy of a .357 magnum with a comparable stopping power.

Make sure your gun is rated to handle this ammo.
  • Options
    JerGunJerGun Member Posts: 105 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like the CorBons myself. - BE SURE YOUR HANDGUN IS +P RATED!!!

Lighter loads are good in a shorter barrel configuration for a couple of reasons, and the 115 grain +p from CorBon is a fine round.

It doesn't hurt to grab a couple of different loads and shoot them to find out what shoots well in your pistol.

Shooting Times 2004 Handgun Buyer's Guide has an article about some of the new personal defense ammo being produced today. Here's a little info from that article:

Cor-Bon 115-gr. JHP +P.....1306fps.....2.75 @50 ft.
    PMC 124gr. Starfire.....1066fps.....2.88 @50 ft.

Testing was done with a Taurus PT 111 Millenium Titanium, 3.38" barrel.

They also tested Federal, Remington, and Winchester. There's some good information in there, so maybe it would benefit you to pick up a copy if you can still find one laying around. I hope that helps.

JER
  • Options
    RadCatRadCat Member Posts: 680 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I too like the Cor-Bon, but I prefer Speer Gold Dot, in either the 115gr.JHP or their 124gr.JHP+p. It seems to be in wide use by many police departments I know of.
  • Options
    skullgrinderskullgrinder Member Posts: 56 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    All of your information has been helpful. Looked at Corbon at a local dealer. A 20 round box of Corbon 115 gr.was $11.00. Also picked up a 50rd. box of Winchester SXT 147gr.(told were the equivalent of the liberal-press-branded "Black Talon") for $25.

Also, checked online for the +P rating for my 9. Manufacturer said that any ammo manufactured under the SAAMI maximums would be appropriate.

Here in Georgia, most local LE are using .40 Glocks. Much better price break for them than for the rest of us, I'm certain. But they need it and deserve it.
  • Options
    Vortech347Vortech347 Member Posts: 79 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The SXT replaced the Black Talon. They supposedly made some slight changes to the bullet and did not coat it black. OTW, it supposed to be the same load.

The Ranger SXT that was an LEO load is exactly the same as Black Talon as far as I can determine. If I'm wrong someone on here will know and correct me.

I think you will be fine with any premium defense round. Far more important is the skill level of the person behind the gun than the gun or the round itself.

I bought a box of Ranger SXT (LEO Black Talon) in .40 165gr. at a gunshow but paid $32 for a 50 round box.

Right now my wife's 228 has Black Talon 147gr in it. Bought it before they stopped selling it to the public. My 229 in .357 Sig has Corbon 125gr jhp in it.

A friend bought the Aguila 65gr ammo for his 9mm and it does look interesting. The dealer had a piece of 1" thick glass that I think was bulletproof glass and the round had gone all the way through it. Was enough of a sales pitch to convince my friend to buy it. Hope he never has to find out if it can live up to it's billing.
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,809 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I test bullets by shooting milk jugs filled with water. I've noticed that the 9mm 147grain gold dots will penetrate 3 full jugs and imbed in whatever I'm using as a backer. They are perfectly mushroomed at about 45-50 caliber but that amount of penetration bothers me. I'm carrying 124 grain gold dots instead.

Mobuck
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by skullgrinder
    Also, checked online for the +P rating for my 9. Manufacturer said that any ammo manufactured under the SAAMI maximums would be appropriate.

FYI, CorBons are carefully and deliberately loaded to maximum SAAMI pressures, but no higher. Actual pressures will vary depending on your particular gun, of course.
  • Options
    gotstolefromgotstolefrom Member Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Old song....but still best.
    The best bullet is from a well placed shot.

If you find yourself in need of defense, first off..I hope you are more than 20 feet away if you do not have your gun in hand.

If you do have it in hand and ready to fire (mentally and physically) you may get by with a 10 foot distance.

If your 'attacker' is very big, armed, and fueled on METH, the finest gut buster bullet may not do any good....a head shot usually performs well regardless of bullet type.

If you plan to carry a weapon for self defense, you must practice, practice, practice.....or it will do you no good.

You refer to 9mm, so I will assume semi-auto. It is no secret that the FMJ hardball ammo has the best record for feed and function. It is not very good for a single body shot....so back to the well placed shot.

Can't say that is my 2 cents worth, I am just passing on what I have found to be good advice.

If we do not hang together,
    We will most certainly hang separately.