In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Corrosion on NEW Beretta?

ns916ns916 Member Posts: 31 ✭✭
edited December 2004 in Ask the Experts
I purchased a 92FS Stainless early this year. I shot about 150 rounds through it, cleaned it, let it get some fresh air overnight, then put it in a case. About a week later I took it out to admire it's beauty and noticed brown spots all over the the slide stop/catch lever. I was at a lose for words. The whole piece was covered in brown spots, yet the rest of the gun still looked brand new. I hadn't cleaned or done anything different than I have done my whole life with other firearms. The only 2 causes I could come up with were either I had a bad silicone rag, or the case storage somehow did it. I realize long term case storage might cause rust, but wer're talking about a week here. My Dad bought me a 92FS when I was 12 and it spent years on end in a case with no problem. As far as the rag goes, it's pretty much a non issue. I wiped it down real good before putting it in the case but I spent the majority of the time on the slide, I don't even remember wiping this part. If the rag was the cause I'm sure it would have effected much more than JUST this piece. Has this happened to anyone else? Do you know WHY this happened? Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Comments

• Options
    Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My guess is it is not the rag. Could be it was touched by a sweaty finger and not wiped off.

Oils in the skin can be very hard on gun finishes if left on, even for short periods.

Joe
    "Never let school interfere with your education"
  • Options
    RadCatRadCat Member Posts: 680 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You did not mention the humidity where you stored the weapon. Using a "silicone rag" is nice to remove fingerprints and polishing, but it does not impregnate the surface with a protective enough cover of oil to fend off the effects of high humidity. Leaving clean, unprotected, blued finished parts in high humidity where temperature fluctuations can result in condensation formation in the gun will result in rusting in "unprotected spots". Oil the surface first, then package it in a silicone treated "sock", and store away from high humidity, temperature fluctuating areas.
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What kind of lining is in the gun case? Some linings are hygroscopic and absorb moisture in humid conditions.
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,881 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    v35 nailed it; gun cases should be used only for transportation, & then, briefly. I have seen surface rust form overnight on a gun left in a car truck; changes in ambient temperature, as well as the relative humidity, can cause rust to form quickly.

Neal
  • Options
    RossRoss Member Posts: 156 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There is something more here than the usual humidity problems if the stainless steel is rusting. Many stainless steels do rust, and they are usually just polished out with a very fine abrasive.
    Cheers from Darkest California,
    Ross