In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Chinese M37 / M870 shotguns

skullgrinderskullgrinder Member Posts: 56 ✭✭
edited December 2004 in Ask the Experts
Would these make viable options to the domestics? Are they reliable? Do they have interchangeable parts with the domestic models?

Their prices are tempting, but not if they aren't going to be repairable, or upgradeable with domestic parts. I don't swim or speak Mandarin that well.

Comments

• Options
    pikepole20pikepole20 Member Posts: 64 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had a model 37. It was a good gun for the money. I am not sure about parts interchangeability. For what you pay for the shotgun, it does not matter. I did not like the sights, they were plastic, other than that, function was fine.
  • Options
    deerhntrdeerhntr Member Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They are JUNK, I have seen many of these imports returned to a local
    gun shop for broken firing pins and extractors It appears the metal in these shotguns are Not tempered right which causes broken parts.
    If you are on a budjet Buy a Good Used Remington 870 OR Mossberg model 500 even after hundreds or maybe even thousands of rounds
    these models remain SUPER RELIABLE.

nysrpa.jpgtnusa.gifNoPETA.jpg
  • Options
    Der GebirgsjagerDer Gebirgsjager Member Posts: 1,673 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have two of the M-37 types. One was made by (don't giggle, now--!)I believe, the Shan Dong Machine Works No.2 (or something very like that) and the other by NORINCO. The first one does not have a perforated barrel handguard, and the second does. Other than that there isn't a lot of difference, except that the first is polished (somewhat) and blued. The second has a very matte finish. When I got the first one I took it out of the box and worked the action a few times, and heard a "tink!". I noticed a small, sharp piece of metal on the shop floor, picked it up, and found it to be one of the "fingers" from the elevator. I took the part out of the gun and found it to be a color indicating poor heat treatment. I phoned Century Arms Intl. (the importer) and told them about the problem. In less than a week they had sent me a new part. Oddly, the new part looked very much like an Ithaca-made part, but it went right in and functioned fine. The NORINCO didn't function quite as smoothly, but a friend and I took it up in the mountains and fired the **** out of it. No problems. Very nice pattern. My overall impression is that they are all steel (the steel may be a little softer than that from which American guns are made), but overall, they are sturdy, functional, and a good buy for the money. I'm pretty sure, but not certain, that they are very close to the Ithaca product for parts interchange. I like them well enough that I have considered, but not yet made a move on, the Rem. 870 copy. As for upgrades--I don't think the Chinese offer any, and as for domestic parts---I haven't tried anything past replacing that one elevator. But, these are designed as, and being sold as defense shotguns. I think they are a fair buy for that purpose, but were I seeking a hunting, skeet, or trap gun I'd buy American.
  • Options
    skullgrinderskullgrinder Member Posts: 56 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the info.
  • Options
    ThrockmortonThrockmorton Member Posts: 814 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    IMHO life is better with a good used american made gun.better steel and longer life.ie: a lot of cowboy shooters use the imported ones becuse domestic '97's are not made anymore and the supply of good ones is limited,but all things being equal they'd rather have the amercian version,even though the imports cost a lot less.
    I shoot imported guns so this is not a slam,just facts.

Throckmortons' the alias,cas is the game.
  • Options
    Jimmy BossJimmy Boss Member Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have the china made HAWK model 98. Its the 870 copy. I also have a Rem 870 model 5077, along with a standard 870 express. The copy is well build and shoots a very good group. I have tryed to interchange the parts of the 870 express with the 870 copy. The barrels will not,The bolts will not, everything else will interchange that I have tryed. I only bought the copy(HAWK) last night and fired about 20rds through it today in the back yard. It will eat all the ammo I stuffed in it anything from Win low brass 7 1/2 up to the high brass #4's.

JBoss......Fear No Fish/peace through superior firepower/The gun manufacturers are not making a dangerous product.
    Bad parents are.