In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

quiet 22 ammo, anyone know of a good kind?

Bunn19Bunn19 Member Posts: 38 ✭✭
edited December 2004 in Ask the Experts
I was wondering about the aguila subsonic sniper ammo? I just oredered a brick today and was wondering if it was quiet or if anyone knew of another quiet ammo? I have a place to shoot safely but neighboors want to keep the noise down any thought?

God Created Men, Sam Colt made them Equal

Comments

• Options
    shaneshane Member Posts: 882 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you are not shooting an automatic try CCI CB's

They are very quiet.

Sir Shane of the~Secret Select Society of Sauve Stylish Smoking Jackets~ <P>
  • Options
    bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,868 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    22 short.
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
    Former NSSA All American
    Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
    MO, CT, VA.
  • Options
    badwrenchbadwrench Member Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Aguila is good stuff. Sounds like a loud pellet gun. I used it to nail a fw rats at the storage place I used to work/live at.

Chrome don't get you home.
  • Options
    Point BlankPoint Blank Member Posts: 77 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not Aguila super sniper or CCI ....get the Aguila Colbri,MUCH better!!!

Very,very little noise.The others are "kinda" loud!!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    i've tried the cci cb but it doesn't have much power and i've heard the colibri was weaker i was kinda aiming for a pretty good hitting load with not all the noise.

• Options
    kimberkidkimberkid Member Posts: 8,857 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't know how the Remington Sub-sonci stacks up aginst anything else, but I have a brick of it and its pretty quiet to me ... Espically in my H&R M12 with a 24" barrel [8D] The powder must be completely burned by the time it leaves the barrel cause there is barely a pop [}:)]
    If you really want to do something, you'll find a way ...
    ... If you don't, you'll find any excuse.
    If you really desire something, you'll find a way ?
    ? otherwise, you'll find an excuse.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    22 short and long are both quiet in cb but dont have the power i'm looking for any heavier loads?

• Options
    RadCatRadCat Member Posts: 680 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bunn19---- You want the best of both worlds. Hard to do, unless you go with a "supressor". KimberKid above pointed out something interstingly true: "the longer the barrel" with this reduced powder/power loads, the lower the report. I have a High Standard pistol (with a light weight slide) which I shoot with the CCI long CB caps, and it cycles the slide properly. I have a 6 3/4" barrel which is quiet enough. But when I put in my 30" heavy Douglass barrel/stock setup... my pellet Sheridan rifle makes more noise. These loads do not have as much power or the range of "full" loads, and that is the obvious reason why they are so quiet. It would be nice to have both, but it won't happen unless you go "supressed".
  • Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello Bunn19...

It really depends on what type of firearm you are shooting the ammo in. I own an original Winchester Model 1885 Single-shot rifle that has a 30-inch No. 3 octagon barrel on it that is chambered for 22 LR. When I shoot standard velocity 22 LR ammo in it, it makes a barely audible "pop", and it is extremely accurate. When I shoot my original Winchester Model 75 Target Rifle, I switch to the Colibri ammo, as it is very quiet, and it retains sufficient energy to be effective within 50'.

Bert H.

Real Men use a SINGLE-SHOT!
  • Options
    yekimakyekimak Member Posts: 257 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Depends on what you are shooting at, the SSS is pretty quiet, but will pass through a couple 2x4's easily...then again I have had CB's ricochet off of a squirrel's head (little meanie got up and started chattering at me again after that...just a few feet away)..Aguila's website says that the SSS will pass through 24" of gelatin at 200 yards...though I can only imagine the angle you'd have to hold to get that range.
  • Options
    HKmanHKman Member Posts: 291 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello Bunn19,
    Absolutly the Aguila SSS, it will cycle through most semi-autos and packs quite a punch with a 60gr bullit. It whispers through a well built suppressor, but I would'nt know anything about that.[;)][:D]
    Have fun shooting!!!

And for all those pesty varmints out there...
    !!!SALENCIO MORTUM!!![}:)]

"There are those who make things happen, those that watch things happen and those that say, what happend?"

AC Tactical
  • Options
    mpolansmpolans Member Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Point Blank
    Not Aguila super sniper or CCI ....get the Aguila Colbri,MUCH better!!!

Very,very little noise.The others are "kinda" loud!!

The Colbri is the quietest ammo I've ever shot. It's basically just priming compound...I doubt there's much, if any, powder in there, so it WILL NOT cycle a semi-auto. The stuff is so quiet, with ear muffs, I couldn't tell the round had gone off until I check through a spotting scope and saw the hole in the target. Out of my Ruger Single-Six, it shot a few inches low at 25 yards. I don't recall what the groups were like, but I don't recall them being outrageously bad.
    The SSS isn't much quieter than any other standard or high velocity .22lr round, unless you've got a suppressor.
  • Options
    Uncle AlpoUncle Alpo Member Posts: 9 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Aguila SSS Sniper SubSonics are LOUD - louder than a .22 long rifle. They're also pretty powerful. I use CCI CB's in the yard; they're fine if your rifle can handle a .22 short cartridge and about the same noise level as a pellet rifle. A CB will easily take down a rabbit at 30 yards.