In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Marlin marked NEF Single Shot 12 GA

TWalkerTWalker Member Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 2004 in Ask the Experts
I saw a used NEF 12 ga single shot for sale today...... nothing unusual except that it isn't a NEF, it's a Marlin. Is this something new, or a trial run, or discontinued model??? What's up? Would it be worth buying for $50?

Comments

• Options
    ThrockmortonThrockmorton Member Posts: 814 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Marlin owns NEF now,but I didn't know they were re-naming the guns with the marlin name.For fifty bucks ya can't go wrong....except that single shots being lighter can kick pretty good.

Throckmortons' the alias,cas is the game.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I went ahead and bought the Marlin single shot 12 guage. The pawn shop had one more for sale and had another last year as well. These are the only ones I've ever seen. I noticed some on the auction pages. I believe these were sold new a few years ago(2-4) and discontinued. They aren't listed anywhere on Marlin's web site. I would like more information on this gun, particularly when sold, how many, and why. Thanks for any replies. The model number is 200, marked only on the barrel. There is a serial number on the receiver but no other markings. The butt plate is a Marlin.
  • Options
    FrogdogFrogdog Member Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My brother has one of those Marlin single shot 12 guages. He bought it probably 3-4 years ago at K-mart. K-Mart was the only place I ever saw them (wasn't really looking though). It looks nearly identical to the NEF one except for the markings and the forearm is different (more simple rounded look) than the NEF ones sold at that time. I don't think H&R/NEF had been bought by Marlin at that time. However, now that Marlin does own H&R/NEF I have noticed that the forearm on the NEF's has changed to the more simple rounded style the Marlin had (probably a smidge cheaper to produce). I suspect that the one you bought and that was sold at K-Mart back then was a Marlin product. It was probably dicontinued when Marlin bought H&R/NEF because Marlin no longer had a reason to continue making a nearly identical product. See below and I think you'll see what I mean. Note the different forearms:

Example of Marlin Single shot: http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?item=27416758

Example of old NEF Single Shot (before Marlin buying NEF): http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?item=27313067

Example of new NEF Single Shot (after Marlin buying NEF): http://www.hr1871.com/firearms/index.php?cat=3&subcat=1

Note that the old Marlin 200 is nearly identical to the new style NEF. Hope this has been helpful.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thank you for the information. It helps a lot. I wonder if Marlin/H&R,NEF will ever make any more with the Marlin trademark? I'm happy to add this one to my Marlin collection.
  • Options
    ruger270manruger270man Member Posts: 9,361 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    so hows it shoot?

I sure do love my NEF Handi Rifle

santa2.gifsig3.jpgsanta2.gif

"I will no longer debate a liberal because I feel they are beneath contempt. Just communicating with one contaminates a person." - whiteclouder
  • Options
    edited November -1
    It shoots good. Just like a NEF or H&R. The barrel length is 27 1/2 inches. Wonder why not an even 27 or 28 inches? There must be magic in that extra 1/2 inch of barrel. I always wondered why S&W had 8 3/8 inch barrels on some of their revolvers as well.
  • Options
    MFIMFI Member Posts: 7,899 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We have one for sale now in the shop. This was before Marlin took over NEF . Seems to be a decent little single shot.

Marino Firearms Inc.
    Hancock, NY 13783
    gunslinger13783@yahoo.com
  • Options
    DEG305DEG305 Member Posts: 469 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    MFI; I have asked on several occations where in upstate N.Y. your gunshop is located but now i know! I visit your store every time I'm in Hancock! I was born in Hancock and your father knew my father real well(Ivan Geer). With the new laws recently passed am I able to purchase a long gun from your store without having it shipped to a FFL here in Virginia? You always have some nice firearms that I'm interested in[:)]

Dewayne E. Geer