In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

set me straight on ruger 44 semis

krm924krm924 Member Posts: 34 ✭✭
edited December 2004 in Ask the Experts
im looking for the ruger semi 44s. they have been called carbines, deerfields, 99/44s and so forth.

i think that what i want is the new one, it has the handguard and rotary mags and integral scope mounts.

what are the differences between old and new? is the new better than the old? i dont think ill scope it, but i may try a red dot on it for fun.

thanks in advance,
kyle

take one second to stop and think about those serving now and take 2 seconds to remember those who served before us.

Comments

• Options
    duckhunterduckhunter Member Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You want a deerfield carbine 99/44. Page 15 of the new Ruger catalogue.

I WOULD RATHER BE DUCK HUNTING.
  • Options
    gskyhawkgskyhawk Member Posts: 4,773
    edited November -1
    duck hunter is right on the model number
    the old model was the carbine it had a internal tube magazine , plus it didn't come with the ruger rings like the new models do

which is better , all depends on who you ask , the old model carbines had quite a following ,

one thing the new model is sure a lot easier to unload with that removeable mag
  • Options
    01DUSE01DUSE Member Posts: 120 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bambihunter should chime in on this one real soon...maybe even re-post pictures of his 44(s).

Men, like bullets, go farthest when they are smoothest.
  • Options
    guffieguffie Member Posts: 49 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The old ones had 1/38 twist, and weren't very accurate. The new ones have 1/20, which is much better. I always wanted one of those things(the old ones), but after buying one, I was very dissapointed with the accuracy. There is no way I'd shoot at a deer at 100 yds with the old one I had. After glass bedding the gas piston block, it shot decent at 50 yds, though. I just wasn't impressed, and I sold it. Well, that's my $.02!! Good luck.

Gun control means all X's.
  • Options
    Bill JordanBill Jordan Member Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've got an old model that will shoot 2" groups at 100 yds with Magtech; nothing else, including my reloads. Do what the old gunwriters said; take it to the range with different ammo and see what it likes.

"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than to have a frontal lobotomy"
  • Options
    Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have one of the new model Deerfield .44's. Its a nice little rifle. I bought 2 extra magazines and now have 3 total.

It is quicker to reload with the pre-loaded mags. The older model with the tubular mag has to be loaded one round at a time. As mentioned, the older guns have a following with Ruger collectors and are not easy to find these days.

The manual that came with my Deerfield says not to use aluminum cased ammo like CCI Blazer as it appearently does not produce enough pressure to cycle the short stroke gas system.

The Deerfield also will not cycle .44 spl ammo.

Joe
    "Never let school interfere with your education"