In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Scope Rings on 7mm WSM

buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,252 ✭✭✭✭
edited January 2005 in Ask the Experts
My son bought a Savage package rifle (scope,bases,rings and sling) in 7mm WSM.The first thing I did was put a better scope on it.My concern is the aluminum bases.The rifle has a pretty good recoil because it is so light.Should I put steel dove tail bases or will these aluminum weaver style hold up? Thanks

Comments

• Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Weaver style bases,..even if aluminum are stronger than the dovetail bases. I have gone away from dovetail bases because several pair have failed over time. Buy a good set of steel rings for the weaver bases (Warne are cheap and super strong) and install them. Push the cross bar of the ring foreward against the muzzle end of the cross slot when tighteneing them against the base so that their is no room for movement under recoil,..and enjoy.

why chase the game when the bullet can get em from here?....
    Got Balistics?
  • Options
    HeavyBarrelHeavyBarrel Member Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thats the way I would go, if I wasn't addicted to the steel, heavy duty Leupold Mark4 mounts and rings that is....I too avoid the dovetail mounts.
  • Options
    deerhntrdeerhntr Member Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I never had a problem with the dovetail mounts, But any new gun i buy I install the weaver type mounts. The Steel Warn weaver type Bases
    and a set of Leupold PRW rings Is the Strongest Mount system i have ever seen.

nysrpa.jpgtnusa.gifNoPETA.jpg
  • Options
    mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    Aluminum bases are not a problem at all. Just use a good quality set of rings.
    I highly recomend the Burris Signature Series rings, they hold better than most, and do not leave those unsightly ring marks like the rest do.
    Plus with the concentric inserts that come with them you can tweak the set up to the best advantage.
    I have no problem using Dovetail rings as long as they are Burris Signature Series to take out any misalignment that may be present.

Gun control is hitting what your aiming at.
  • Options
    Guns & GlassGuns & Glass Member Posts: 864 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Agree with much already said. Have been a Warne affectinado for years before they started getting more popular.

However, will add that dovetails are very strong, and do work well.

But,....they are more difficult to to set up, lower half must be installed correctly, and if not done right can both damage a scope tube, skew internal adjustments thru 'tube torque'.
    Many BR's still like them.

Happy Bullet Holes!
  • Options
    durocduroc Member Posts: 14 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Millet rings..none better..IMHO