In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Deactivated Maxim Silencer Question

vepr762vepr762 Member Posts: 299 ✭✭✭
edited February 2009 in Ask the Experts
I have a Stevens Favorite that has a threaded adapter and a deactivated Maxim Silencer. The Maxim has a "window" cut lengthwise along one side, so it is non-functioning or deactivated. It twists on and off.

Before I list the rifle for sale are there any states that still consider this restricted? I couldn't find anything and it's nothing more than an historical and very rare collector curiosity , in its current state.

Stevens002.jpg

Comments

• Options
    cpermdcpermd Member Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dam.
    That is a shame.

CP
  • Options
    upjumtddeblupjumtddebl Member Posts: 363 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Might be a salesman sample and worth more because of that. the only reason I suggest that is that the machine work is very clean and in not the usual cut and hack
  • Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree... it looks like a factory cut-away used as a show & tell. Can you post a picture of the barrel muzzle with it removed?
  • Options
    rhmc24rhmc24 Member Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Silencer of that design was very effective. In 1930s I made one of very similiar design that was so silent that with a .22 short you would hear the hammer fall click. For the outside tube I used a part of the pump of a scrap Benji air rifle, the baffles were of one mill aluminum tax tokens, ends turned of brass on a friend's 1860 lathe, held on muzzle by friction to my dad's Win 61.

Mine was about 4" long, probably more and closer baffles & due to the hole in center, the front sight was hardly visible.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    You twist it 90 degrees and it cams/screws off. I have seen this style of attachment adapter before, on several Remingtons and Stevens, but never an actual Maxim. There were two styles of attachments IIRC, a threaded muzzle with knurled thread protector and this style of screw-on adapter.

I'll be posting it for sale today, with the rifle.
  • Options
    gruntledgruntled Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you could effectively cover the hole (Maybe something as simple as wrapping several layers of duct tape around it.) wouldn't it still work?
    If it is that simple I should expect that it would not be really "deactivated".
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Modifying it to work would be illegal. Making a silencer is illegal unless you are properly licensed. This has been "deactivated" so that it does not function unless someone intentionally alters it back to its original state.....again that's illegal.

A semi-auto AK, AR, etc is legal until you modify it to full auto, unless you have a registered sear.
  • Options
    NwcidNwcid Member Posts: 10,674
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by vepr762
    Modifying it to work would be illegal. Making a silencer is illegal unless you are properly licensed.

Close but not quiet. ANYONE can make a silencer/suppressor legally by filling out an AFT Form 1 and submitting it. Wait for it to come back approved and you can LEGALLY build.

The only NFA item not allowed to be built for civilian/civilian sales is machine guns.
  • Options
    slumlord44slumlord44 Member Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This gun was on the auction side and then pulled. What is the story? I was interested in bidding on it.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    More Then Likely it was pulled BECAUSE IT IN NOT LEGAL TO OWN unless it is on PAPER with BATFE this owner or a new buyer a DEWAT machine gun or Silencer must be on paper end of story.