In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Rem. SAUM"s

HawkshawHawkshaw Member Posts: 1,016 ✭✭
edited February 2009 in Ask the Experts
Did Remington ever mfg. a .270, or .325 short mag equivalent to the WSM????? As always THX

Comments

• Options
    schintzieschintzie Member Posts: 129 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello Hawkshaw,

Short answer, no.
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hawkshaw,

No, but that doesn't mean that you can't have one or both if you want to.

It's a simple process to create one of these chambers for a rifle or pistol by using separate reamers. If you develop a real interest in them, you can have a reamer made to your specifications if that suites you. Actually, Dave Kiff more than likely already has the specifications and can grind a reamer in 2 - 4 weeks. I'm sure someone, somewhere has done this...

Best.
  • Options
    HawkshawHawkshaw Member Posts: 1,016 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    THX Guys
    Nononsense---Actually, where I'm thinking of going, is the Rem mod. 7. I like that little gun. I curremtly have it in the 7mm, and .300. I may rechamber them both to the WSM, mostly because the WSM is a little larger case. But since I do reload, I may stay with the SAUM. As discussed here earlier, I think the SAUM will pretty much be unavailabl in ten years, or so. THX Guys
  • Options
    AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Since Winchester is gone, why would we think that the WSM's will outlast the SAUM's? Remington's still with us.
  • Options
    mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    I'm thinking and hoping the SAUM's (specially the 7) will be around for a long time.
    I reload so it really is not a problem that I need to deal with if they do disappear.....
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Ambrose,

"Since Winchester is gone, why would we think that the WSM's will outlast the SAUM's? Remington's still with us."

You're about 3 years out of date. The original Winchester plant was closed in March of 2006. FNM Herstal/Belgium, who leases the name from Winchester/Olin, used some of their factory space at their FNM plant in Columbia, South Carolina to produce several of the Winchester lines currently.

http://www.winchesterguns.com/

Hawkshaw,

I wouldn't waste the money or effort re-chambering a RSAUM to a WSM in an M7 or any other standard short action. By the time you seat a bullet to magazine length, the two have similar performance levels. I would simply stock up on cases and continue with your reloading.

Best.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    "The original Winchester plant was closed in March of 2006."

nononsense:

Yeah, regretfully, I remember. To me that means Winchester is gone.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Ambrose,

Fortunately, what you believe doesn't count in this situation and is still wrong. The brass is still being made and the company is still making rifles and shotguns. Therefore the WSMs will still be available. End of story.

Best.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    nononsense; Have I offended you in some way?!
  • Options
    mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    the winchester rifles are of higher quality now since the CNC manufacturing of the rifles at the FN plant is far superior to the old, worn out equipment at the Hartford winchester plant. They approach the pre-64 stuff in metal fit. They do however, IMHO need to be a little more realistic with their pricing,.....man are they ever proud of those things[V]