In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Stolen firearms

freddbear4freddbear4 Member Posts: 154 ✭✭
edited February 2009 in Ask the Experts
Is there an internet source that one can access that lists stolen firearms by make model and serial number ?? I live in Michigan, and wonder if there is a nationwide data base ??

Comments

• freddbear4freddbear4 Member Posts: 154 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Captkirk, Our home was recently burglerized. Several handguns were stolen. I need information regarding worth and serial numbers for the antique firearms in question. May I please contact you directly, and would you please contact me directly?
  • p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    There is but law enforcement keeps it secret so you can't see it.

Easier to bust people with stolen guns that way....[;)][xx(]
  • iwannausernameiwannausername Member Posts: 7,131
    edited November -1
    Not sure about nationwide or even regional, but some states have them. Here's Floridas. In accurate - I've searched for a few guns that were stolen from me like 10 years ago and none show...

http://www3.fdle.state.fl.us/fdle/guns_search.asp
  • James76James76 Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    You can check www.hotgunz.com but I think it is only searchable by exact match of the serial number.
  • tjrssbtjrssb Member Posts: 46 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The law enforcement system is called "NCIC", National Crime Information Center. I'm a retired Deputy Sheriff, I now work in the Evidence/Property Room to assist citizens to have their found firearms returned to them. If you're a victim of a firearm theft & want to make sure your firearm was entered, check with the reporting law enforcement agency to make sure the firearm was entered. Folks don't believe their guns will ever be found. Returned one last week stolen from 1991.
  • HerschelHerschel Member Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    For p3skyking, Did it ever occur to you that the NCIC access is limited to law enforcement so that the thieves can't check to see if their loot has been entered before fencing them? I can't interpret your smilies, maybe you meant that as a joke and not as a cynical slam on law enforcement.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Herschel
    For p3skyking, Did it ever occur to you that the NCIC access is limited to law enforcement so that the thieves can't check to see if their loot has been entered before fencing them? I can't interpret your smilies, maybe you meant that as a joke and not as a cynical slam on law enforcement.

You are correct, you can't.
  • DENWADENWA Member Posts: 390 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    TJRSSB,

I've had some weapons stolen when I was in Iraq. My uncle gave the law enforcement oficer all my paperwork and the Flordia website still shows the serial#'s.

My friends in Law enforcement told me I'll never get back my stuff because criminals destroy serial numbers on weapons as soon as they can. even if it can be postively ID'd the police will not return it with a damaged serial number or because they don't want another gun out on the street.

Is this true?
  • mrs102mrs102 Member Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    DENWA...Federal law prohibits possession of a firearm with an altered or removed serial number. Serial numbers can sometimes be "raised" with a chemical process after they have been removed, but this does further damage to the metal.......If your stolen gun is recovered and you had received an insurance payout on it the insurance company gets first grab at it and you can bet they have little interest. If it is recovered and there is a prosecution to be had; it will be held as evidence, until the end of the prosecution. In my State (Wisconsin) all firearms recovered from use in a crime must be surrendered to the State Crime Lab. If they don't have one for there ballistics collection they will keep it. All others are destroyed.

I don't necessarily agree that all stolen firearm will always have the serial number removed since possession of it becomes an additional Federal crime. If it is recovered and wasn't otherwise used in a crime and you can prove you owned it, did not receive insurance for it, and want it back in its current condition...you can lawfully have it back.
  • HerschelHerschel Member Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    p3skyking,

I apologize.
  • Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,309 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by DENWA
    TJRSSB,

I've had some weapons stolen when I was in Iraq. My uncle gave the law enforcement oficer all my paperwork and the Flordia website still shows the serial#'s.

My friends in Law enforcement told me I'll never get back my stuff because criminals destroy serial numbers on weapons as soon as they can. even if it can be postively ID'd the police will not return it with a damaged serial number or because they don't want another gun out on the street.

Is this true?

No it's BS. My brother had 7 or 8 guns stolen in '02 or '03. He has gotten three back thus far.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Herschel
    p3skyking,

I apologize.

No problem. It wasn't a slam, just a poke at a flawed system.
  • Pinto CollectorPinto Collector Member Posts: 16 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The good news is you have a good chance of getting them back. In 1970 my Gold Cup National Match, .38 Special, was stolen in an apartment burglary. I reported the theft to the St. Louis Police Department, and in 2006 (36 years later), it was recovered in Michigan. It was then shipped back to the St. Louis Police who returned it to me. The pistol was still in great condition, minus the box and two extra magazines.
    Here is my advice -
    1. BE PREPARED - keep a list of serial #s and values.
    2. Immediately report to your local police or sheriff.
    3. Get a copy of the police report.
    4. Notify your insurance company.
    5. If you later move or change phone numbers, go back to the reporting agency to have them update your file.
    6. Spend a few dollars to notify every gun shop within fifty miles and offer a reward. (That actually worked for a friend.)
    7. Buy a gun safe and you probably will never have a theft.
    Good luck![:)]