In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Smith and Wesson 38 Special

walterkertiawalterkertia Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
edited February 2009 in Ask the Experts
I was given a S&W 38 special. I could not find anything that showed the model number. I did locate the serial number on the barrell and cylinder. I found the number 74425 on the frame when the cylinder is removed. Does anyone know if that's the model number? I tried searching on the internet with that number and did not find anything. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Comments

• Options
    MBKMBK Member Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Tip the cylinder out. Now look at the frame in the hole in front of the trigger. Anything there?
  • Options
    MOONEDMOONED Member Posts: 936 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    You can also look on the underside of the barrel or if the grips cover the grip frame (bottom portion of handle), it should be present there.

Aaron
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The SERIAL number is on the bottom of the butt. It might be on other locations but that is the official placement. A number not equal to the serial number under the cylinder crane is a fitting number used only to keep track of parts at the factory before a serial number is assigned.

If it were made before 1957 it will not have a MODEL number, before then S&Ws were named, not numbered. A .38 Special six shot is probably a Military & Police, but if on a large frame would be a Heavy Duty. A five shot is a Chief's Special. Sorry, I don't have the book to look up the details for you.
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Open up the cylinder and look under the "crane", the little lever that the cylinder rests on. If your gun has a model number, it should be engraved there.

If not, a picture is worth a thousand words. Post one here, and you'll get your answer. For instructions, see the "sticky" at the top of the "ASK THE EXPERTS" page.

If you don't have a camera, borrow one. [;)]

If you don't have the ability to do that, it would be helpful if you would give more information, since Smith and Wesson has made literally dozens of variants of revolvers in .38 special, and just a serial number isn't an easy way to determine the model number.

Does the gun have fixed or adjustable sights?
    How long is the barrel?
    How many shots does it hold?
    What is the frame size? (EG small, medium, or large)?
    What kind of finish does the gun have (eg blued steel, stainless steel, alloy frame, nickel finish, etc)?
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Henry0Reilly
    SW60xx.jpg

Wow Henry, where did you get those cool pink-highlight diamond grips? [;)]
  • Options
    Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The 74425 number you found is an assembly number and is not the serial or model number.

If the gun has the serial number on the barrel and cylinder as you state, it was made before 1957 and will NOT be stamped with a model number.

As stated, some pictures would help a lot. Smith made a lot of models that shoot .38 spl so it could be any number of models.

Guns made before 1957 had no model numbers but were designated with names. For example, The model 14 prior to 57 was the K-38 Target Masterpiece.